Argos blocking their own website!

Then why not give that tech information rather than the insulting, patronising message they currently using.

I would understand if they said they were improving the shopping experience rather than the fact that I may spoil someone else's shopping experience.

As it stands, I will never use their site or shops again.

I bet you threw your toys out of the prams as well when you were a nipper.

jb

I bet you threw your toys out of the prams as well when you were a nipper.

jb

No I didn't actually, that would be childish, as are personal remarks.

But I certainly won't give my hard earned money to a business that treats me like crap. Thankfully I have the freedom of choice where I shop.

You don't do 'testing' and you don't take servers down during the busiest part of the day.

You also don't operate a site as large and as busy as that without a redundant backup.

Well that is unless you're completely incompetent.

Or have the vaguest clue how large commercial websites work.

The idea of Argos having a full set of servers capable of handling the full christmas load sat there constantly as a redundant backup is laughable.

Switching servers between testing and live modes is also pretty common. You wouldn't plan to cause the site to become unavailable to actual users by doing so, but you only need a couple of other faults (or unexpected demand) to mean you need to switch those servers back to production to cope with the traffic.

Maybe part of the system has fallen over...

---------- Post added 05-11-2013 at 15:24 ----------

Kind of a shot in the foot wasn't it.... ? Still, got to admire his honesty... :)

---------- Post added 05-11-2013 at 15:27 ----------

Because most people don't want or understand tech info...

A simple message explaining that they were improving the site to improve the shopping experience is easily understood.

Then why not give that tech information rather than the insulting, patronising message they currently using.

Because almost certainly the load balancer won't know what the problem is, just that it can't find a server able to take your request. If you gave a list of the technical reasons that could cause the problem Argos would get more complaints about the website giving out techy gobbledy-gook than they will about it not giving sufficiently technical information.

A simple message explaining that they were improving the site to improve the shopping experience is easily understood.

But just as patronising surely? It'll be an automated message that appears when system issues mean they can't handle the amount of incoming enquiries.. they won't (can't) write a different message for every situation that may occur...

No I didn't actually, that would be childish, as are personal remarks.

But I certainly won't give my hard earned money to a business that treats me like crap. Thankfully I have the freedom of choice where I shop.

They haven't treated you like crap. They have displayed a polite message that the site is busy right now so to come back later. It's no different than nipping to your local corner shop and finding a sign on the door saying 'back in five minutes'.

jb

Archived