What do they do with all the old lamp posts?

That's fair enough.Obviously,if the light has 5' less distance to shine it will take less electricity to make it cover that distance.It's basic physics.

Are you trolling or have you totally missed the point I made? Physics has nothing to do with it!

KCC are cutting down some lamp posts leaving a stump 4-5 high.

There's no lamp on it, so saving electricity but leaving the street less well lit.

Presumably it's cheaper to leave the stump rather than dig it up.

Just buy some from Argos.

I'm not sure you could just erect several 20+ foot street lights on your property without planning anyway, depending of course where your property is.

There is usually no need to apply for planning permission for lamp posts providing the building isn't listed or in a conservation area. The only other consideration is that light must not be a nuisance to users of the highway or to neighbours.

Are you trolling or have you totally missed the point I made? Physics has nothing to do with it!

There's no lamp on it, so saving electricity but leaving the street less well lit.

davyboy, the teeth was definitely having a joke at your expense!

davyboy, the teeth was definitely having a joke at your expense!

I'd go along with that ... Mr. Teeth has a lovely sense of humour that is sadly lost on some people.

He was commenting about the different length of time it takes light to travel to the ground from a shortened lamp post as opposed to a full height one (which of course is virtually immeasurable) and the savings the shortened post would make on electricity consumption ... made me laugh anyway. :)

I'd go along with that ... Mr. Teeth has a lovely sense of humour that is sadly lost on some people.

He was commenting about the different length of time it takes light to travel to the ground from a shortened lamp post as opposed to a full height one (which of course is virtually immeasurable) and the savings the shortened post would make on electricity consumption ... made me laugh anyway. :)

Ab, you're forgetting that within the space time continuum of Sheffield the speed of light is severely impaired by the existence of air born particules (coyul dust).

To improve transmission the national grid have stoked up our streets lights by several thousand amperes, one street lamp down Darnall now requires the equivalent feed of a nuclear submarine. Why Kent should be affected by this phenomenon I'm not sure :(

---------- Post added 06-11-2013 at 11:59 ----------

Due to the budget cuts it's the precursor to putting them in blue uniforms and calling them sleeping policemen.

There is usually no need to apply for planning permission for lamp posts providing the building isn't listed or in a conservation area. The only other consideration is that light must not be a nuisance to users of the highway or to neighbours.

Good luck with it.

Like street lamps? :)

Archived