How much do Twitter pay the BBC (or any channel), or vice-versa?

It was in the news (I think I heard) that Twitter is to be floated on the stock market to raise £1b.

Many TV programmes offer the opportunity for you to comment via Twitter (or Facebook for that matter). Is this free advertising? Or do Twitter pay them for all the advertising or their product?

They don't pay anything.

In fact Twitter / Skype and several of the other regularly "promoted" websites have various things that broadcasters have (should) do when they point viewers to their services.

For example, the BBC are currently breaking one of Twitter's rules by not having the Twitter bird logo prominently displayed next to the @username boxes which appear on the news (they do however appear on the BBC World News graphics).

They don't pay anything.

Free advertising then?!

In fact Twitter / Skype and several of the other regularly "promoted" websites have various things that broadcasters have (should) do when they point viewers to their services.

For example, the BBC are currently breaking one of Twitter's rules by not having the Twitter bird logo prominently displayed next to the @username boxes which appear on the news (they do however appear on the BBC World News graphics).

I doubt Twitter will complain about that though, they're making big money when it's rolled out for things like this.

It was in the news (I think I heard) that Twitter is to be floated on the stock market to raise £1b.

Many TV programmes offer the opportunity for you to comment via Twitter (or Facebook for that matter). Is this free advertising? Or do Twitter pay them for all the advertising or their product?

Silly question.

Are they 'advertising' for Royal Mail when they display a postal address? Or for the phone companies when they publish a phone or text number?

Silly question.

Why is it?

Are they 'advertising' for Royal Mail when they display a postal address?

No. They don't specify which company you use to post it, and besides the Royal Mail was only recently privatised.

Or for the phone companies when they publish a phone or text number?

No. They don't say who their provider is.

-

Since it's making the owners millionaires over night, I don't think it's a silly question. When the company starts making a profit, it'll be interesting to see how their tax issues go.

A couple of months ago, people were moaning about Google and their practices. Will they still give this company free advertising if it goes the same way? I guess we'll see.

Where are you seeing this advertising for Twitter by the way?

Most references to it I've seen don't actually mention Twitter - using @somebody and #hashtag on programmes isn't actually advertising Twitter.

'you can email us, or text us, or tweet us at...'

is a common thing. Perhaps only I notice this. Or wonder about it!

Archived