Anyone had their cat converter stolen?-25k gone in last 3 years

It is hard to believe that a thief would crawl underneath a car armed with the tools to remove the catalytic converter. Considering that almost 25,000 of these have been stolen between 2010 and the first half of this year, there must have been occasions when the owner has came out and drove off while the thief was underneath. Is there more room under a 4WD? Maybe they only target them??

Surely the scrap dealers would be aware what is going on when a guy comes in to the yard with the platinum & Palladium?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24811143

Don't know how they manage it - it took me a week to detach part of the exhaust system on my car, and that was on ramps. Unless they cut it through but this must make a lot of noise.

That is exactly what I thought.

Could it be that it is the new insurance scam, now that the insurance companies are wise to the “crash for cash schemes, and whiplash brigade” Exhaust needs replacing. Owner saws through where cat is located, and reports it to the police and gets a crime ref number, then claims on insurance. Exhaust systems with cats are expensive-more than the policy excess.

A man who lives a few doors up from me had the catalytic converter stolen from his work van last year whilst it was parked on the road outside his house.The police came door to door asking if anybody had seen or heard anything, nobody did even though it's very quiet here. Apparently it's quick and easy to steal these.

Don't know how they manage it - it took me a week to detach part of the exhaust system on my car, and that was on ramps. Unless they cut it through but this must make a lot of noise.

You use a chain type exhaust cutter, it can slice through the exhaust very quickly, it doesn't make much noise either.

You use a chain type exhaust cutter, it can slice through the exhaust very quickly, it doesn't make much noise either.

A mate of mine had his cat removed from his van about 18 months ago. He thought it was done this way.

Thre van was parked on a residential road in Greystones directly under streetlights. Quick and easy seemingly.

my neighbour did-I saw the robbers at 4am but I thought they were just drunk and messing with the bricks outside their house (thats what it sounded like). They left when they saw they had been seen but I didn't see they had anything with them. The police came round that evening:blush:

Unfortunately for the neighbour I have given up reporting things as the police/courts never do anything!

They did catch them though from my description of their tracksuits:hihi: unbelievable!

Archived