Mekkin' Do

tiffy

Originally posted by Mo

Yes I do now you mention it and do you remember that horrible Carnation milk we used to have on it because we couldn't afford real cream?

I love carnation milk, used to drink it from the tin like a strange person...also there was that other cream stuff in a tin...Tip Top was it called? Beautiful! Ah memories of Soreen malt loaf with lashings of Stork marge on it, and dripping butties, that was our sunday tea. Never got into the whole dripping butties though, theres something wrong I feel with having bread smeared and inch think with animal goop....ick

Originally posted by Mosherchik

[bI] dripping butties, that was our sunday tea. Never got into the whole dripping butties though, theres something wrong I feel with having bread smeared and inch think with animal goop....ick [/b]

Now't wrong wi' drippin'. When I was an apprentice at 16 I used have to go and get a dozen or so drippin' 'cakes for the morning tea break. Good stuff it was too. Kept you going.

Also, it was all we had to eat on a Thursday during the 60's as my parents didn't get paid 'till Friday.

You're bringing it all back now - treacle sandwiches, brown sauce on bread. Remember the fancy sugar bowls, milk jugs and gravy boats our mums would use and the cutlery - those fish knives!

Funny how not many kids care for a good old cuppa preferring fizzy pop instead - can't beat the old stuff though - dandelion and burdock and yes taking back the empties for a few coins not the plastic bottles and cans that litter the shopping precincts today.

Two pennorth worth of chips and when we were at 'big school' we learned that if we bought an uncut loaf and had it halfed - we could eat the bread from the centre and take it to the chippy to have it filled with chips and scraps.

Makes you realise though when you remember all this how hard our mums worked in the home and how great the local shops were. Twin tub washers and grills high up so that you could keep an eye on your toast while standing in the kitchen doorway and watch a bit of telly at the same time. Think I'll go and live with my mum again....................

I'm sure a lot of the old timers will remember the 'Monkey Runs' where the lads and lasses would parade up and down an area checking the talent out.

The lads invariably walked from Herbal Drink Shop to Herbal Drink Shop. The usual tipple was a hot Sarsparella drink or an Oxo drink. This was before coffee bars and there were nowhere else to go unless you risked under aged drinking in pubs.

It all sounds so simple and boring now but in those days this was the thing to do on a Sunday evening.

You'll get me started on Ox tongue sarnies and potted beef! ick :P nowt like good ole yorkshire cooking, used to have a big yorkshire pud, then meat and two veg and a pudding for Sunday's dinner, lard content = cardiac arrest! dont do it now tho, dont think we could manage it! xxx

Sunday dinner aren't the same without "round the horn" "rays a laugh" the "billy cotton band show" and "family favourite" with Jean Metcalfe and I can't remember the man and was "life with the lions" on on Sundays I think so and Jimmy Clitheroe, can't remember the name of the show.

Round the Horn...Kenneth Williams, marvellous! Mum's got some on tape. Quite like Just a Minute but not listened to it for a while, Clement Freud does my head in, as does Paul Merton sometimes on that!

Sunday Radio tends to consist of Parkinsons Sunday suplement...Yawwwwwwn and Steve Wright's love songs...yeurch!

xxx

Archived