Mekkin' Do

tiffy

"Gerrit darn thi" was or could be anything and everything,from Udder to pigs feet to chicklins to sheeps eead to tripe and onions to bread anlard to pobs (milk with stale bread) or oxo and stale bread.My favourite was 'ash or meat and potato pie made in a basin with the crust so thick if you dropped it it would damage the floor .

"Gerrit darn thi" was or could be anything and everything,from Udder to pigs feet to chicklins to sheeps eead to tripe and onions to bread anlard to pobs (milk with stale bread) or oxo and stale bread.My favourite was 'ash or meat and potato pie made in a basin with the crust so thick if you dropped it it would damage the floor .

And that's how I still do my meat a tattie pie's.....:hihi:

What a great thread this has been .... I'm snowed under with memories of Sunday teatimes and all the weird and wonderful things we used to eat. I'd forgotten about most of them until today. My mother's meat and potato pie with double thick crust and lashing of Hendos ... yum ... tatie hash with herb dumplings bobbing about on the top on the pan (shout whip when you come to the meat, what did that mean?) seasoned pudding with onion gravy ... mmmm! delish ....

I wonder how the children that didn't want to even try most of Jamie Oliver's healthy eating menus would have fared back then? Maybe he should have tried saying "gerrit dahn thi or tha'll get nowt else"

Tiffy how many people darn these days? I can remember my gran sitting with a big pile of mending on her lap and using a huge darning needle to fill in the holes. It used to feel really uncomfortable to wear the repaired ones especially if the darn was around the toe area.

She also used to sew those leather patches on my school cardigans at the elbows to stop the wearing through.

Bars of soap were bought months in advance and stored until they were rock hard before using them. That way they lasted much longer.

We used to have a hobbing foot ( made of heavy metal with 3 foot shaped bits attached) which was used for repairing shoes. This could be fixing new heels or more likely sticking on new soles.

i still have my dads hobbin foot, but i never saved the peg rugs,remember them?

And that's how I still do my meat a tattie pie's.....:hihi:

those were the days i remember my mum doing ash for tea on a wednesday and what was left it got a crust stuck on it for next day .and tripe and pigs feet, cows heel .ithought it was awfull but my dad loved it.

JoanL

Geers an invite an al fly oar,thas got to 'ave wuster we it,tha noes.

Noooo. only Henderson's served here. If I run out then, that's it' til next trip home.:hihi: :hihi:

• 4 years later...
i normally have bits of this and that in my freezer,every so often i make a bittza:D ,allways tastes good,also i do,buble n squeak with any meat thats left over:D ,can anyone remenber ECHO, margarine?it was yellow and tasted disgusting:shakes:

I once worked in a cafe where one of my daily tasks was to mix Echo with butter (equal proportions) for spreading on the bread. For the restaurant upstairs I mixed salad cream with tomato ketchup for the new fangled prawn cocktails.

Archived