Marine found guilty of murder

war is a free for all as far as i can see!! like i said its only the western countries that signed up to the geneva convention that stick to the letter of the document.......how crazy is it that in a battlefield situation with urban guerrilla type insurgents our troops have to request permission to open fire under rules of engagement:loopy: our enemies do not meet our tradition for discipline as you put it:loopy::loopy:

General Houghton get's it right

"They're not above the law of the country, or the law of armed conflict. If we try to put ourselves beyond the law, or expect special provision from the law, then we start to erode the position where we have a moral ascendancy over those that are our enemies."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10438946/Royal-Marine-who-murdered-Afghan-captive-committed-heinous-crime-head-of-Armed-Forces-says.html

Is that how it works in civvy street? I don't think that a trial by your peers means that the jury will made up of people at the same level of hierarchy as you.

---------- Post added 10-11-2013 at 20:28 ----------

In this instance I would suggest that the phrase peers refers to members of the same armed forces.

Thats not the definition of peer.

Peer

one that is of equal standing with another : equal; especially : one belonging to the same societal group especially based on age, grade, or status

Thats not the definition of peer.

Peer

one that is of equal standing with another : equal; especially : one belonging to the same societal group especially based on age, grade, or status

But that is not the only definition in existence is it, or the phrase a trial by your peers would be meaningless because how many juries are made up of people that meet your cherry picked definition?

But that is not the only definition in existence is it, or the phrase a trial by your peers would be meaningless because how many juries are made up of people that meet your cherry picked definition?

No, but I can't find a link to one that matches your definition, but I would be happy to read it if you can post it.

Archived