Marine found guilty of murder

I'm wondering what misdemeanours are worse than murder.

In my opinion the marine simply killed an enemy combatant, one that may never have recovered from the injuries already sustained, but if he did recover would no doubt have carried on terrorising the population and attacking our forces.

In my opinion the marine simply killed an enemy combatant, one that may never have recovered from the injuries already sustained, but if he did recover would no doubt have carried on terrorising the population and attacking our forces.

Thankfully the rest of the nation wasn't relying on you to determine the verdict given your interpretation of the available evidence.

Thankfully the rest of the nation wasn't relying on you to determine the verdict given your interpretation of the available evidence.

For you its a good job it was a military trial, a jury might have found him innocent of murder and you would have been frothing at the mouth at the thought of a British marine getting away with killing the enemy.

Exactly along with many thousands of UK Soldiers, Airmen and Royal Navy personnel and ships.
There was, at the time of the desert campaign in Libya, a deal of dissension from the peoples of Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa about the numbers of their troops fighting in that campaign compared to the Mother Country. Churchill referred to it in his History of the Second World War. At about the same time Canadian soldiers were complaining about not being involved in the fighting. He sent them out on the Dieppe Raid, which was a disaster.

For you its a good job it was a military trial, a jury might have found him innocent of murder and you would have been frothing at the mouth at the thought of a British marine getting away with killing the enemy.

He was found guilty on the basis of the evidence. A military tribunal is hardly likely to be an easier hearing than a civilian one. My view of Marine A is based on the evidence that led to him being found guilty.

Foolishly he presented a smoking gun, metaphorically and literally, to his accusers in the form of helmetcam footage showing him deliberately executing a prone prisoner-that's against the law.

Whilst you might not know that or agree, Marine A did know and acknowledged so by encouraging his comrades to maintain silence over his deed, and referencing the Geneva Convention.

If he'd been found innocent then the evidence would have supported that finding so there would have been nothing to froth at the mouth over.

Archived