Marine found guilty of murder

There is no doubt that the soldier was in violation of the Geneva Convention but when I think of the Taliban who shot 14 year old Pakistan schoolgirl Malala in the head for daring to say that girls should have the right to an education it makes me want to forget the rules occasionally when dealing with this scum.

How much worse must it be for the soldiers who are there in that part of the world. I can claim to know some of the stresses and strains they must be going through and they've seen their fellow soldiers killed by IEDs or even shot at by Afghan soldiers and police who have gone renegade.

The sentence was far to harsh IMO. Disicpline is discipline but we're all human and we all have breaking points.

Blair must share some of the blame for getting the nation into a difficult war without much planning or an exit strategy. Maybe a lesson has been learned here and we'll stop sending soldiers to serve in perenially ficked up parts of the world

Confusion caused by my post being quoted in yours!
That was a mistake on my part, sorrry.

---------- Post added 18-11-2013 at 23:43 ----------

There is no doubt that the soldier was in violation of the Geneva Convention but when I think of the Taliban who shot 14 year old Pakistan schoolgirl Malala in the head for daring to say that girls should have the right to an education it makes me want to forget the rules occasionally when dealing with this scum.

How much worse must it be for the soldiers who are there in that part of the world. I can claim to know some of the stresses and strains they must be going through and they've seen their fellow soldiers killed by IEDs or even shot at by Afghan soldiers and police who have gone renegade.

The sentence was far to harsh IMO. Disicpline is discipline but we're all human and we all have breaking points.

Blair must share some of the blame for getting the nation into a difficult war without much planning or an exit strategy. Maybe a lesson has been learned here and we'll stop sending soldiers to serve in perenially ficked up parts of the world

most criticism comes from those who have never done military service and are never likely too unless they're drafted. Conscription was a curse on the RN, though we never had many. My son David volunteered just after High School and saw service in Kuwait during Desert Storm. He returned to Iraq five years ago, He was wounded when his Humvee was hit by a grenade and his driver and buddy was killed. He hss been unable to work since. If any man would seem to be able to kill in revenge he is that man. But he didn't and would never have. I'm proud of him for that, and I am sorry for the RM who could not help himself from doing what he did.

That was a mistake on my part, sorrry.

---------- Post added 18-11-2013 at 23:43 ----------

most criticism comes from those who have never done military service and are never likely too unless they're drafted. Conscription was a curse on the RN, though we never had many. My son David volunteered just after High School and saw service in Kuwait during Desert Storm. He returned to Iraq five years ago, He was wounded when his Humvee was hit by a grenade and his driver and buddy was killed. He hss been unable to work since. If any man would seem to be able to kill in revenge he is that man. But he didn't and would never have. I'm proud of him for that, and I am sorry for the RM who could not help himself from doing what he did.

I never once saw any VC prisoners wounded or unwounded shot by anyone in my platoon or company. They were treated by our medics, the Navy Corpsmen and choppered out like any of our own wounded.

I cant speak for the Army. Oliver Stone himself was a survivor of Vietnam. He may have based his film "Platoon" on his own personal experiences or just added in the good sergeant, evil sergeant bit to give some body to his film.On the other hand we were a cut above the Army and came under the Department of the Navy

Francis Ford Coppola on the other hand wandered off into fantasyland in his epic work "Full metal jacket" I say this because of the far fetched episode of the recruit misfit in the first part of the movie who went slowly crazy and gunned down the drill instructor. Any recruit who went around with a face and eyes like his would have been sectioned 8 right away so IMO while the movie was extremely popular is was mostly fantasy

I can naturally feel empathy for the RM however. If the justice he received was deserved I would hope that at least some of the officers who judged him had been in a war zone themselves and not some pen pushing, paper shuffling members of the desk warrior brigade

• 3 weeks later...

Mod Note

Posts discussing moderation have been removed. if you have a question regarding moderation such as "why was my post/thread removed" or "why was my account suspended" then raise a ticket at the Helpdesk.

Queries about moderation posted in the general forums will be removed.

Archived