Iran,US talks on Atomic Issues

Against whom? No-one is threatening Iran with extinction or demanding that all Iranian land be handed-back to some mythical populus.

Sanctions are far more deadly than nuclear weapons...millions have already died in Iraq and Iran due to sanctions . Over one million children (UN est) killed. All because Israel feels one day these states may pose a threat to their existence... sanctions policy is nothing short of genocide!

All your comments are used to justify using nuclear strikes in WW2.The thing that bothers me is the fact that the US never really knew what the first A bomb was capable of when they unleashed it, but hey someone had to try it out. A bigger bomb again 3 days later and achieved the goal (surrender).

Now, ( I think ) I can understand the reasons behind this, but they never understood fully what they were unleashing (and didn't care).

America proved to the world, the destructive properties of nuclear warfare, that is why other countries immediately followed suit, to defend themselves.

Can't blame countries for that.

Now with Iran, having seen 2 gulf wars and Afghanistan, is it unreasonable that they should want to defend themselves ?

My bold. You're correct. It was quite justified. Another little history note. The first A-bomb was tested in the Nevada desert or the New Mexico desert (not sure which). They knew what they were unleashing. Meanwhile American and allied soldiers, sailors and airmen were dying every day. The Kamikaze suicide attacks by Japanese pilots on American ships was deadly. Over 400 ships were lost due to these attacks and hundreds of seamen killed or injured.

It was estimated that subduing Japan by a land invasion would cost another 500 thousand casualties including Japanese civilians caught up in the fighting.

There was no choice but to bring that war to an end as soon as possible. I would have hoped that the ringleaders ended up on a rope. They were criminals just like the Nazis

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 01:43 ----------

I have more concern about a country like Pakistan which has had nuclear weapons for decades. Now there's a doomsday scenario if ever there was. The government is unstable and the Taliban occupy and rule parts of the country. It would only take a civil war like in Syria for extremist elements among the Taliban to perhaps get access to these weapons

My bold. You're correct. It was quite justified. Another little history note. The first A-bomb was tested in the Nevada desert or the New Mexico desert (not sure which). They knew what they were unleashing. Meanwhile American and allied soldiers, sailors and airmen were dying every day. The Kamikaze suicide attacks by Japanese pilots on American ships was deadly. Over 400 ships were lost due to these attacks and hundreds of seamen killed or injured.

It was estimated that subduing Japan by a land invasion would cost another 500 thousand casualties including Japanese civilians caught up in the fighting.

There was no choice but to bring that war to an end as soon as possible. I would have hoped that the ringleaders ended up on a rope. They were criminals just like the Nazis

I have more concern about a country like Pakistan which has had nuclear weapons for decades. Now there's a doomsday scenario if ever there was. The government is unstable and the Taliban occupy and rule parts of the country. It would only take a civil war like in Syria for extremist elements among the Taliban to perhaps get access to these weapons

Or possibly done as a warning to the Russians because even though the US and Russia were allies, the mistrust was still there.

My bold, would you care to expand please (seriously).

Arming themselves with Nukes, I thought that was obvious if you read the post in its entirety.

They secretly armed themselves with nuclear weapons, who knows how many, and now they fear Iran is going to secretly gain them. Given that Israel still won't let anyone know how many they have, they fear Iran will not be as forth coming either if they developed any.

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 07:30 ----------

Why would you need that explaining?

If you cant understand that whats the chance of understanding the answer?

Thank you, its not just me then ? :hihi:

Edited by esme
quote of deleted post removed

Arming themselves with Nukes, I thought that was obvious if you read the post in its entirety.

They secretly armed themselves with nuclear weapons, who knows how many, and now they fear Iran is going to secretly gain them. Given that Israel still won't let anyone know how many they have, they fear Iran will not be as forth coming either if they developed any.

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 07:30 ----------

Thank you, its not just me then ? :hihi:

I suppose I asked the question for the benefit of the wider audience :hihi:

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 16:52 ----------

Testing bombs in the desert can't reflect a real life situation. The first bomb dropped on Hiroshima was considered inefficient at only 1.7% actual fissioning.

What were you trying to achieve ?

Blow them off the face of the earth ?

Did you really know what you were doing ??? I doubt it.

I suppose I asked the question for the benefit of the wider audience :hihi:

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 16:52 ----------

Testing bombs in the desert can't reflect a real life situation. The first bomb dropped on Hiroshima was considered inefficient at only 1.7% actual fissioning.

What were you trying to achieve ?

Blow them off the face of the earth ?

Did you really know what you were doing ??? I doubt it.

Look on the positive side. The A-bombs finally brought the war to an end and after the world saw the destruction they could wreak no country has ever used them since or very likely to do in the future. A vital and valuable lesson was learned the hard way.

My wife's father would have been shipped out to the Pacific war after being in the European war if the war against Japan had continued. The bomb saved his life more than likely and his daughter, my future wife was born after he returned home... so all's well that ended well:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 20:22 ----------

Or possibly done as a warning to the Russians because even though the US and Russia were allies, the mistrust was still there.

There were a few maniacs around like general George Patton who wanted to take on the Russians just after the defeat of Germany

Edited by Harleyman

Look on the positive side. The A-bombs finally brought the war to an end and after the world saw the destruction they could wreak no country has ever used them since or very likely to do in the future. A vital and valuable lesson was learned the hard way.

My wife's father would have been shipped out to the Pacific war after being in the European war if the war against Japan had continued. The bomb saved his life more than likely and his daughter, my future wife was born after he returned home... so all's well that ended well:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 20:22 ----------

There were a few maniacs around like general George Patton who wanted to take on the Russians just after the defeat of Germany

True Harleyman, so true :bigsmile:

It was at best a very difficult alliance. The Russians very strongly wanted a second front to ease the fighting they were going through. But Britain was fighting for its own life and the German intention to starve us to death with their Uboats.