Guy Fawkes -elected or otherwise.

mikebatty

Tony Benn is a con merchant.

The two most honest M.P's are from our own area . Dennis Skinner and John Mann working class heroes .

One I must admit to having bit of a shock, Sheffield's knowing the name of a M.P when I was over only name i knew was the Prime Minister and when Winston got the boot I was 4 yrs in getting the name of the new one right:confused::confused:

Tony Benn is a con merchant.

The two most honest M.P's are from our own area . Dennis Skinner and John Mann working class heroes .

I remember during the Miner's Strike in the 80's, Dennis Skinner stood up during Prime Ministers question time and said something along the lines of "...and of course, I will be donating my salary to the Miners fund, as I am sure my colleagues will all be doing as well....", and there was much looking down at the floor and awkward moments from all the other "working class" politicians. Skinner knew that none of them would do it, he just wanted to shame them :hihi:

---------- Post added 10-11-2013 at 22:01 ----------

cuttsie , you do surprise me !

I would suspect that both Dennis Skinner and John Mann would disagree with you ,not to say little old me .

Don't you think that Tony Benn gave up a lot " on principle "

I notice that you didn't mention any of the local " Sheffield " MP's .- save for Meg Munn , who appears to have the well deserved respect across the party's .Given the esteem in which both her father and uncle were held on the Sheffield City council there is little surprise. Save that , in her own right , she is a first class representative .

---------- Post added 10-11-2013 at 17:57 ----------

cuttsie , you do surprise me !

I would suspect that both Dennis Skinner and John Mann would disagree with you ,not to say little old me .

Don't you think that Tony Benn gave up a lot " on principle "

I notice that you didn't mention any of the local " Sheffield " MP's .- save for Meg Munn , who appears to have the well deserved respect across party's . Coming from both father and uncle of the Sheffield City council , who were both held in esteem ,there is little surprise .Save that, she is a first class representative in her own right .

Wasn't it Meg Munn who went off to New Zealand, Australia and the Polynesian Islands at the tax payers expense, to "investigate education" or something like that? I think the term was "junket", which these days people would call a "freebie".

I remember during the Miner's Strike in the 80's, Dennis Skinner stood up during Prime Ministers question time and said something along the lines of "...and of course, I will be donating my salary to the Miners fund, as I am sure my colleagues will all be doing as well....", and there was much looking down at the floor and awkward moments from all the other "working class" politicians. Skinner knew that none of them would do it, he just wanted to shame them :hihi:

Well the problem is Grapps that the working class politicians are thin on the ground. It seems as if you now have to be vetted by the party before you are put up for election and it also seems to help if you are privately educated or come from a middle class background.

The working class hero who comes up from the shop floor down the pit or from a building site is a thing of the past.

In other words there is not a political party that fully represents the working class who we can vote for today.

Wasn't it Meg Munn who went off to New Zealand, Australia and the Polynesian Islands at the tax payers expense, to "investigate education" or something like that? I think the term was "junket", which these days people would call a "freebie".

The term she preferred was "fact-finding mission".

Well the problem is Grapps that the working class politicians are thin on the ground. It seems as if you now have to be vetted by the party before you are put up for election and it also seems to help if you are privately educated or come from a middle class background.

The working class hero who comes up from the shop floor down the pit or from a building site is a thing of the past.

In other words there is not a political party that fully represents the working class who we can vote for today.

Cuttsie mate, I know we disagree about football, but I agree 100% with you on this subject. Me and a pal have said this many a time over a pint, as you say, who represents the average working class family these days? The Miliband Brothers?, Harriet Harman?, how about those working class lads Tony Blair and Peter Mandelson? :hihi:

The Labour party today seems to be made up of middle class toffs, none of whom seem to have done a days "real" work in their lives. A real shame.

---------- Post added 10-11-2013 at 22:16 ----------

The term she preferred was "fact-finding mission".

That was it Jim! :hihi:

Maybe finding out the facts of a free holiday at the tax payers expense?

---------- Post added 10-11-2013 at 22:19 ----------

Has anyone other than Guy Fawkes ever entered parliament with honest intentions ?

Not many Mike, the recent expenses scandal showed the scale of greed amongst all parties, and the usual excuse of "this was within the guidelines", shows that the moral compass is way off course for the vast majority of these people.

What about Dennis Skinner he's speaks out about what he believes in and doesn't always toe the party line

I agree he's a politician who's willing to stand up for his beliefs, one of a dying breed in the Commons.

I also like Rory Stewart.

Grapps Iv'e told you I don't know owt about football In fact the last time I offered my opinion on that game I was banned for a week by a gaffer on the thread.

Well I will agree with that Cuttsie pal! :hihi:

Only kidding and sorry to hear you have had a ban.

---------- Post added 11-11-2013 at 10:31 ----------

I agree he's a politician who's willing to stand up for his beliefs, one of a dying breed in the Commons.

I also like Rory Stewart.

You can probably count them on one hand, or less!

Well I will agree with that Cuttsie pal! :hihi:

Only kidding and sorry to hear you have had a ban.

It seems to be all about slapping each other on the back now on that thread instead of good owd fashioned Sheffield humor.

Any way back to Guy Fawkes, who did he play for, we had Guy Whitingham.

Cuttsie,I have had some heated discussions with you on the footy section but i agree with you 100% on this post.!!!!!!!

Archived