How many of you get a 2nd postal delivery?

Mo

I had a letter from the Royal Mail last week telling me that 2nd deliveries are ceasing. What 2nd delivery I ask?

I have lived in this area for 11 years and we have never had more than one delivery a day. The time it is delivered is appaling- rarely before lunchtime and fo the last couple of weeks we've been lucky to get it by 2.30pm.

The letter goes on to say that they are introducing a new,free (as if they are doing us a favour) service called Mail Collect. You go to the sorting office to collect your own mail. Cheeky b*ggers.

Is this the beginning of the end of the post service as we know it????

There will always be a postal service in some way, shape or form.... It'll just probably end up like the NHS, meaning that if you want a service that's anything like reliable and good, you'll have to pay for it privately.

We don't get a second post at home, and haven't for about 10 years. However, we do get a second delivery at work in the City Centre, which comes at about 10am.

My work gets second post before home gets first post.

Yep, I've had the same letter. Ever since I can remember I have only ever received one delivery, usually around 12pm. I feel the postal service will be forced to introduce further changes in the near future in an attempt to prolong its death.

Originally posted by Rich

There will always be a postal service in some way, shape or form.... It'll just probably end up like the NHS, meaning that if you want a service that's anything like reliable and good, you'll have to pay for it privately.

But the post office and one such courier have striked a deal. The post office will deliver the last mile. The couriers just drop it off at one of the nearest post office depot to save on cost.

So privately in some quarters are going to get worst very soon.

My friend gets his first delivery 2 hours after the people on the other side of the road gets their seconds.

The problem with postal workers is that they are paid by the hour. Why deliver quick? If they were paid by per round/sack, it would be a different matter.

Originally posted by John

The problem with postal workers is that they are paid by the hour. Why deliver quick? If they were paid by per round/sack, it would be a different matter.

That's a new one on me, as far as I know they are still on about £260 pw for 42 hours. It's nearly 20 years since I left but postmen always get complaints about being late. It's the age old question, whch end do you start? We used to go out around 7.30 and be back just before 10. Quick cup of tea and sort the second delivery, which we still get in Walkley btw. My neighbour's a postman and he tells me it hasn't changed but it will soon, see previous posts.

I can't see a problem with the mail being delivered at whatever time it does as I'm out at work anyway.

Our postman in Crookes always delivered our mail around 10.30 and I found out it was because he had his cup of tea at a neighbour's house rather than back at the sorting office and then finished the last 20 odd houses before going back for 2nd delievery. Some days we'd get 2 delivieries 45 minutes apart.

Originally posted by max

That's a new one on me, as far as I know they are still on about £200 pw for 42 hours. It's nearly 20 years since I left but postmen always get complaints about being late. It's the age old question, whch end do you start? We used to go out around 7.30 and be back just before 10. Quick cup of tea and sort the second delivery, which we still get in Walkley btw. My neighbour's a postman and he tells me it hasn't changed but it will soon, see previous posts.

I can't see a problem with the mail being delivered at whatever time it does as I'm out at work anyway.

Our postman in Crookes always delivered our mail around 10.30 and I found out it was because he had his cup of tea at a neighbour's house rather than back at the sorting office and then finished the last 20 odd houses before going back for 2nd delievery. Some days we'd get 2 delivieries 45 minutes apart.

Glad to see someone knows what they are talking about.

People seem to moan because they dont get their post at a time that suits them....Is the postman at your disposal?...no I doubt it...is there some kind of hidden contract that says we have to be at their house by a time that suits them?...no I doubt that as well.

Unless its a timed delivery that is.

By being given the choice to collect their mail they have the option to have their mail when it suits them.

In relation to cost...what the hell are these people on about,they want it for nothing thats what.

The cost of postage in this country is a bargain,where else can you send a letter anywhere in the country for the price you pay here....(silence),exactly...knowhere.

Found these details of how much a postman actually earns, the average is £264.55 for a 6 day week and that includes around 6 hours a week overtime.

POSTAL WORKERS FACTS

1. the basic wage of a delivery postman or woman is £250.53. In Inner London this rises to £300.91.

· the average basic earnings for full-time manual workers in the UK is £277.70

· average basic earnings of a postman or woman is £264.55

· a 5% increase would only bring postal workers up to the national average

2. on average, each postal worker needs to work six hours a week overtime. Around 20,000 postal workers regularly work more than 48 hours a week

· the EEC 'ceiling' for working hours is 48 hours a week

3. the average price of a UK home is now over £100,000; in London it is £176,000.

· a postman on a basic wage could not hope to raise a mortgage in excess of £34,000

4. many postal workers with families need to rely on family income supplements to live.

· the government is committed to the elimination of poverty (except, it seems, in an industry it owns!)

5. around 60% of delivery postmen and women work a 6 day week.

I'm just glad that I don't have to get up at 4.45 a.m. 6 days a week any more.:D

Archived