North Yorkshire vs South Yorkshire

I now live in York and was only comparing the differences to York folks and Sheffield ones on Friday night!

York is a fantastic town, especially near the centre, and the Rowntree Park very beautiful, but Ive found that if you catch someone's eye as you're going about your business they generally look away, whereas in Sheffield they'll usually nod or greet you.

The folk in York probably aren't as used to seeing black faces around the place as they are in Sheffield. I can't say I've noticed any difference.

But like Mel says. The house prices up there are way higher than Sheffield.

Why is North Yorkshire such a lovely place (York, Harrogate, Whitby, Scarborough) full of friendly people (doesn't matter if they are English, Polish, Spanish, Italian, Lithuanian, white, black, Chinese, etc.)

and on the other hand South Yorkshire looks quite rough with many chavs who are loud, messy, lazy...?

How about Middlesbrough? That's about as rough as it gets and that's North Yorkshire.

Archived