North Yorkshire vs South Yorkshire

The folk in York probably aren't as used to seeing black faces around the place as they are in Sheffield. I can't say I've noticed any difference.
At least you could never be accused of mincing your words vinyl ;) It did cross my mind, non whites seem to be mainly students or hospital cleaners!

To be fair to the York folk though once you do get them into conversation they seem to be nice enough.

Are you saying Middlesbrough isn't in N. Yorkshire? Better check again because it is. Cleveland was abolished ages ago.

Everyone and everywhere has a bum hole. South Yorkshire just happens to have more bum holes than an army regiment.

I now live in York and was only comparing the differences to York folks and Sheffield ones on Friday night!

York is a fantastic City, especially near the centre, and the Rowntree Park very beautiful, but Ive found that if you catch someone's eye as you're going about your business they generally look away, whereas in Sheffield they'll usually nod or greet you.

Sounds like you've moved to the Bishopthorpe Rd/South Bank area I know it well - if you're near Rowntree Park that is.

York does have it's share of poorer people but they tend to be largely ghettoed into out of the way places, I once experienced having stones thrown at me by the local children as I walk past these shops one night.:hihi:

I reckon people are just people world over and we are all just the product of our circumstances but York does suffer from a great deal of snobbery in my experience of the place and does a pretty good job of hiding it's badly done to part of the population for the tourist industry.

York is a nice place to visit and for well paid folk to live, it certainly does have it's share of problems though.

Middlesbrough is in Teesside.

I don't understand counties any more. This is what Wikipedia has to say:

Middlesbrough is a large town situated on the south bank of the River Tees in north-east England, that sits within the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire. The local council, a unitary authority, is Middlesbrough Borough Council. It is part of the larger built-up area of Teesside with an overall population of 376,333 according to the 2011 census.

From 1889, Middlesbrough was a county borough in the North Riding of Yorkshire, but in 1968 it became the centre of the County Borough of Teesside, which was then absorbed by the non-metropolitan county of Cleveland in 1974. In 1996, Cleveland was abolished, and Middlesbrough became a unitary authority, within the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire.

---------- Post added 10-11-2013 at 22:22 ----------

Yes, it was- hence I posted "should be", rather than "is".

And why I wasn't sure what you meant ;-)

Archived