Quitting gambling

I quit 18 months ago this week, and I was bad ...real real bad, you name it I bet on it, footy, poker, gold, boxing, tennis, horses..chinese tiddlywinks.. won a fair few quid, lost a hell of a lot more, and I don't just mean money either.

It's probably one of the hardest addictions to beat, once its got hold of you, its pretty evil and worse of all is how unlike pretty much all other addictions its rammed down your throat 24/7 with adverts etc, I never thought I would be able to stop in truth tried a few times but never really wanted to as it was my escapism when I was gambling, One day I walked out of the bookies (it was the day man city won the league) and I can't describe but I just knew I had done with it, had enough..bit like a lightbulb moment (gambled about same length as you but really heavy/bad for about 7 years.

some of us just ain't wired up right for gambling mate, its as simple as that, we have no off switch

Bit of advice is stay busy as possible for a while, doing something you enjoy and start saving money you would have used to bet with. I set up an old pc and spent 3/4 months making a track (something I always wanted to do after years of dj'ing) teached myself loads of stuff, also paid for a holiday after 4 months (something I hadn't been able to afford for last 6 years or so)

best of luck pal and if you wan't someone to talk to drop me a pm

Funny really isn't it, how different obsessions and addictions strike different people. I've never ever put a bet on anything and wouldn't ever consider doing so; maybe it's just because nobody in my family ever did either so I wouldn't even know how to go about it.

I take it you gamble mainly on the football corker?

Just tell yourself this, it's the worst/hardest way of betting available, I use to have a bet every weekend for a few years, usually a £10 I very rarely won anything, when I did it was peanuts.

Just look at yesterday

Newcastle, Sunderland and Man utd all won, the bookies will be laughing all week with the accumulators ruined on the Sunderland match.

A few guys I know bet on the horses, but they are sat in pub all day studying form, watching racing for very little in return.

It is a mugs game, and I agree, it's in your face and far, far too easy to bet

---------- Post added 11-11-2013 at 07:43 ----------

What's the closest anybody has come to winning big.

I had £5 accumulator on around 14 teams only for Carlisle v Bournemouth (top v bottom) a banker, to let me down at 0-0. I think I'd have won around 3k.

2006/07

[/color]What's the closest anybody has come to winning big.

I had the following bet on the 3rd of August, I mistakenly had 26p instead of my usual 25p Lucky 15.

Selections

"No. Selections Event Event Date E/W Terms Odds Result

1 Fratellino 5.15 Newmarket

(Win and Each Way) 03/08/2013 3 Places

1/4 Odds 33/1 Lost

Best Odds applied, price updated to SP.

2 Norse Blues 4.15 Thirsk

(Win and Each Way) 03/08/2013 4 Places

1/4 Odds 12/1 Won

3 Rex Imperator 3.50 Goodwood

(Win and Each Way) 03/08/2013 5 Places

1/4 Odds 16/1 Won

4 Winsili 3.15 Goodwood

(Win and Each Way) 03/08/2013 3 Places

1/4 Odds 20/1 Won

Best Odds applied, price updated to SP.

Multiples

Bet Type No of Bets Unit Stake Stake To Return Returns

EW Lucky 15

15 0.26 7.80 1,495.52" From my Bet365 account.

The last runner would have won me £56,000+ from a £7.80 stake.

My only brush with betting was in the late 1960's. Every Saturday, a young lad where I worked would go around all the staff to collect bets to take to the bookies.

I'd always refused, but one day I thought... what the heck.

I knew nothing about it but I looked down the page in the newspaper and saw Lester Pigotts name (the only jockey I'd ever heard of). Without divulging my reasoning to the lad, I asked him to put me a pound to win on 'such and such'.

It won. I did the same each Saturday for about a month, winning each time. One day the lad came to me early. "Why so early?" I asked, to which he replied, "Everybody is waiting to see what you're backing"............. Anyway, that week Lester wasn't on so I backed one at random and lost. Never had a bet since.

Archived