Paying for Training courses yourself

With an awful lot of people now working through agencies, they're finding they have to fund courses and certificates themselves or become unemployable. And they're not cheap. £800 for a friend of mine. Another way of keeping people's wages down or keeping them unemployed.

With an awful lot of people now working through agencies, they're finding they have to fund courses and certificates themselves or become unemployable. And they're not cheap. £800 for a friend of mine. Another way of keeping people's wages down or keeping them unemployed.

Welcome to the world of the professional. £800 is fairly cheap for a course.

If you want to stay current in your field then you do need to pay some money out and if you are doing agency work it's your responsibility no-one elses.

I only pay the costs of training when it relates directly to the work and will bring benefit to the organisation. Previously there was sufficient money around to be able to pay 50-50 on courses that might benefit the organisation and the individual (ie a degree course/module) but with the economic squeeze that's just not possible now.

Just about to start studying for a couple of professional qualifications myself. Happy to do it myself and happy to pay. If I get a different job off the back of it I don't owe my current employer anything. Especially important to do this when you feel that you're getting a bit out of date in the existing job but for whatever reason your employer doesn't require you to get updated just yet.

ah well at least you can claim it back from the taxman:roll:

Not self employed so how? Please tell....I could do with a nice cheque from HMRC

---------- Post added 12-11-2013 at 09:56 ----------

Providing he paid the tax man first, of course

I'm PAYE so don't have much choice in the matter...how about you?

Archived