4x4 or winter tyres

We have a little purgeot 107 which had no problems in the snow last year with snow tires. Last year we had to turn around half way up Granville Road because a 4x4 seemed to be having problems getting up the hill and we were going so slow that we pretty much had to stop, and we didn't want to risk trying to set off on the snow on a hill.

My partner left the snow tires on from last year and its just had an MOT and the garage switched the front tires over to the the back and they will be fine for another year.

I dare say a 4x4 with snow tires might be necessary given all the predictions for the coming winter though.

...until summer when you see the wear on them :D

good set of winter tires will do ya for 3 years.. better than crashing or getting stuck hey... we used to buy a set of steel rims for the winters and just get them changed over in april.... put them on in Nov...

We have a little purgeot 107 which had no problems in the snow last year with snow tires. Last year we had to turn around half way up Granville Road because a 4x4 seemed to be having problems getting up the hill and we were going so slow that we pretty much had to stop, and we didn't want to risk trying to set off on the snow on a hill.

My partner left the snow tires on from last year and its just had an MOT and the garage switched the front tires over to the the back and they will be fine for another year.

I dare say a 4x4 with snow tires might be necessary given all the predictions for the coming winter though.

The general advice is that you should have your best tyres on the rear, even on fwd cars. In extreme situations it's safer (ie less dangerous) if the front wheels lose grip than if the back ones do.

The general advice is that you should have your best tyres on the rear, even on fwd cars. In extreme situations it's safer (ie less dangerous) if the front wheels lose grip than if the back ones do.

Hmm not sure why the garage advised doing that then! They asked if we wanted the ones on the front moving to the back (all 4 have snow tires but the front ones were more worn). I guess it might be more dangerous if the front tires wear more heavily and get down to low tread.

in winter you should have snow tires on all four wheels....

Yes, certainly. I'd assumed that the earlier poster was talking about 4 winter Tyree. It looked like they might have been switching them around based on wear. Maybe they did mean 2 x winter and 2 x summer.

Edit: Now seen Windra's further post, which clarifies.

Archived