4x4 or winter tyres

Hmm not sure why the garage advised doing that then! They asked if we wanted the ones on the front moving to the back (all 4 have snow tires but the front ones were more worn). I guess it might be more dangerous if the front tires wear more heavily and get down to low tread.

If you have "good" tyres on the front and your "poor" tyres on the rear then in extreme conditions you could lose grip on the rear causing the back of the car to try to overtake the front...ie a spin.. I think that is the reasoning behind "better tyres on the rear"

good set of winter tires will do ya for 3 years.. better than crashing or getting stuck hey... we used to buy a set of steel rims for the winters and just get them changed over in april.... put them on in Nov...

Sorry lotar, yes I know, been a big fan of winter tyres recently. I was jesting with tfh that he don't want to be wearing his winter rubbers on summer roads, which of course he already knew :)

Or alternatively, everybody could drive sensibly for the 2 days of snow we have per year?

But if you haven't got enough traction, you cannot drive anywhere. Maybe a better comment would have been "alternatively everybody could leave their car at home for the 2 days of snow we have per year"

I had to tow a Disco up the derwent valley road in the snow winter before last.

I was in a BMW. I had winter tyres, he was on summer rubber.... 4WD is not the panacea that some people think.

Really!

I lived in Germany for a number of years and my route to work took me through open farmland whose road constantly iced over.

I used to laugh at the rear wheel drive BMWs and Mercs skidding all over the place as I motored past in my little front wheel drive Orion.

It's one of the reasons I have never bothered owning a BMW.

I'm needing 2 new front tyres and I'm thinking of getting a couple of snow/winter tyres. I know replacing all 4 would be better but I just can't afford it. Would it be worth it or shall I just get a pair of normal tyres??

Car is an 08 zafira if that makes a difference

I'm needing 2 new front tyres and I'm thinking of getting a couple of snow/winter tyres. I know replacing all 4 would be better but I just can't afford it. Would it be worth it or shall I just get a pair of normal tyres??

Have a look at this..

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/news/why-winter-tyres-should-be-fitted-all-round-1399.php

I did it for a short spell when cash was short and it will get you uphill. It won't stop you very well and could make things worse (I got away unscathed btw). However, if you insurance company is like my mine, they won't pay out if you have two winter and two summer and have a crash so even the spare should match.

Archived