4x4 or winter tyres

Yes really. Have you ever tried the difference? Or are you going to be one of the Fords I pull out of the snow this year? I had to do at least three last year that couldn't drive up a small hill.

Not really:hihi::hihi:

I have a Disco with winter tyres on!

Been driving landrovers on/off road 30 yrs, in desert, mountains, snow etc. some armoured, some not.

Rolled a few, even drove one of the back of a C130.

Attended courses where we have to bog vehicles down and self recover.

And guess what?

I even know what the diff lock is for!!!!!

Xx

Why do people always assume fwd is better than rwd:confused:
Because it frequently is, no assumption about it. [edit-talking about snow conditions]

its the relative location of the enginge that matters
The centre of gravity of the car, actually. Most fwd AND rwd have the engine located in the same place, ie at the front ;) That, for rwd, means less weight on the driving (rear) wheels = lower traction ratio on slippery surfaces. Which is why an old trick (back when rwd was the norm) is to add bags of sand/etc in the boot.

Because it frequently is, no assumption about it. [edit-talking about snow conditions]

The centre of gravity of the car, actually. Most fwd AND rwd have the engine located in the same place, ie at the front ;) That, for rwd, means less weight on the driving (rear) wheels = lower traction ratio on slippery surfaces. Which is why an old trick (back when rwd was the norm) is to add bags of sand/etc in the boot.

i know, but not all cars are front engined, 60% of the cars in our household for a start

My insurers couldnt have given a monkeys and were amazed that I'd even rung them to tell them. As far as they are concerned as long as the rubber meets the legal standards and it's the right size for the wheels then they have no interest in what they are.

I had a similar response from my insurers, also. If I were proposing to go for a different rim and Tyree size, I would make sure that it is a homologated size for that car, just to be safe.

i know, but not all cars are front engined, 60% of the cars in our household for a start
and how typical of the average household is that, so how relevant to the general point I made? Many more beemers, mercs, etc. on roads than MR2s, porkers and other mid- &rear-engined rwds.

FWIW, it's not as if my post was biased: 100% of the cars in our household are RWD (until tomorrow, when that will fall to 66.66% :D) and 100% are front-engined.

Hey Lotar - think I'm gonna follow your lead. Where are you going to have them fitted? Any recommendations?

Cheers. D

Im taking the car to any tyre place, be about 20/30 quid to fit, we lived in canada for a year and snow tyres are a legal requirement there, they make a pile of difference, for people who say they dont... well you never driven in real snow.. definately worth getting, you will struggle to get stuck.. the rubber doesnt harden in cold conditions, therefore grips the snow, and the tread pattern is designed for driving in snow.. as a side note, we had wiper fluid that was good to minus 50 degrees, so dont feeze your wiper fluid up...:love:

This winter tyre hype is a load of baloney.

Yep, all tests that people have done for stopping distances etc etc...evey single one completely made up. Sigh.

Im taking the car to any tyre place, be about 20/30 quid to fit, we lived in canada for a year and snow tyres are a legal requirement there, they make a pile of difference, for people who say they dont... well you never driven in real snow.. definately worth getting, you will struggle to get stuck.. the rubber doesnt harden in cold conditions, therefore grips the snow, and the tread pattern is designed for driving in snow.. as a side note, we had wiper fluid that was good to minus 50 degrees, so dont feeze your wiper fluid up...:love:

You can get screenwash good to -60c from Lidl.

Archived