Sainsburys, ground almonds, recall, PEANUT CONTAMINATION

I have been to sainsburys today to buy some more ground almonds for my xmas cakes, but there was none in stock, was told by the man on the information desk that it had been recalled as peanuts had been found in it. There was no recall notice on the shelf and not seen anything in the news papers, was i being fobbed off because they couldn't be bothered to look for any, or is this correct. I make a lot of xmas cakes for other people and need to know for sure if there is a possibility of peanut contamination

They weren't fobbing u off. They have been recalled in tesco too. Tesco brand & whitworths.

There's a sign up at the customer service desk.

If sainsburys have been recalled too for the same reason then they must all be the same batch of ground almonds in different packaging at different prices?...

Or at the very least all from the same supplier.

Mod Note

Please see the following link for more information

http://help.sainsburys.co.uk/help/products/prod-notice-ground-almonds

Sainsbury's Ground Almonds

Customer Notice - by Sainsbury's Ground Almonds 100g & 200g

Product Description Date/Code/Batch Affected

by Sainsbury’s Ground Almonds 100g All batches and date codes

by Sainsbury’s Ground Almonds 200g All batches and date codes

It has been brought to our attention that a limited number of packets of the above products may contain traces of peanuts.

As a precautionary measure, we are asking all customers who have a peanut allergy not to consume the products and to return them to their nearest Sainsbury’s store, where they will receive a full refund.

No other products are affected by this issue, and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

So what's the deal? Why the recall?

I imagine it's something to do with nut allergies, but are peanuts seriously more injurious than almonds?

Peanuts aren't actually nuts whilst almonds are, not that that has any real relevance, I just thought I'd mention it.

Archived