What does "over the counter" mean.

After working in pharmacy for 5 years i have always been told over the counter means anything you can get without the need for a prescription!

GSL= general sales list this includes paracetamol, ibuprofen etc in the lower strengths and small pack sizes and can be bought without pharmacist permission

P= Pharmacist! A sale can only be granted with a pharmacist permission

POM= Prescription only medicine

At the end of every month we are asked by head office for our OTC sales figures this includes GSL and P meds so i'd say it's anything that can be bought over the counter without the need of a prescription!

On a recent field trip to a chemist in Parsonia, I noticed that medicinal prescriptions were only available THROUGH the counter ... inasmuch as the counter was bedecked with a plate glass screen to ceiling height, with a narrow slot for the transference of medical sweeties between pharmacist and hoodie. Haven't the foggiest idea why. :huh:

No police would ever suspect an ice cream van in Glasgow in November would be selling anything but ice cream.

lol True its road sweeping tobacco , and home made vodka at my end.

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 20:26 ----------

I dont know how else to term it, its all in English as far as I can tell.

I refer my honourable gentleman to Alcoblog reply.

Archived