Shattered Beer Glass

Probably to do with putting extra cold beer in to a glass fresh out of the dishwasher.

Yep it's this.

Constant cycles of hot and cold will eventually weaken the glass and can make it shatter, it won't necessarily break when the cold liquid go's in.

If it happened to you it's probably a sign that the bar doesn't have enough glass in to let hot ones cool down, or that they don't renew their stock very often.

Wouldn't you expect that to happen almost as soon as the beer was poured into the glass though?

The thermal shock could cause hairline fractions in the glass just waiting for the right physical shock to shatter the glass.

jb

---------- Post added 12-11-2013 at 11:20 ----------

Sunday 10th November I took my wife out for Lunch, which we intended to wash down with a pint of Carling Black Label Lager - my wife never got to finish hers, she only had a few sips out of it.

As we sat back talking, all of a sudden her pint glass shattered into a thousand pieces sending glass and lager all over the place - fortunately the waiteress had see this happen and came to our aid to clean it up, she didn't seem surprised at this happening !

Two elderly ladies who were sat behind us, told us they had see this happen before at our table and laughingly said the pub had a ghost, we laughed it off.

Anyone ever experienced a pint glass shattering on its own ?

It's a well known fact the ghosts break glasses into exactly nine hundred and ninety nine pieces, not one thousand.

jb

Probably to do with putting extra cold beer in to a glass fresh out of the dishwasher.

I was thinking this, then I thought well the OP would have felt the hot glass...

OP, I'm not saying the glass didn't break, I'm saying it's nothing to do with ghosts.

And this is the reason why people believe in ghosts, cause someone will go to their mate after reading this and say "Yeah my mate went to a pub his pint glass smashed without anyone touching it and an old woman next to him went 'yeah that will be the ghost', weird init?"

Then he'll add his own story like post number two did and say that someone was murdered at that exact spot and then you get another generation of people who believe this kind of crap.

It happened to me one night in a pub in Chesterfield I was standing holding my glass when all of a sudden the bottom of the glass just sort of fell away, leaving me just holding the top half, it really shocked me and my two friends, I just put it down to a hair line crack just giving way.

Wouldn't you expect that to happen almost as soon as the beer was poured into the glass though?

Yes but not necessarily, its I guess, all about the different timing and temperatures , from dish washer to bar. Differing temperatures from kitchen to lounge etc. Its not black and white. However I admit I don’t know I can only tell you what my kid said that runs a food/booze place

Sunday 10th November I took my wife out for Lunch, which we intended to wash down with a pint of Carling Black Label Lager - my wife never got to finish hers, she only had a few sips out of it.

As we sat back talking, all of a sudden her pint glass shattered into a thousand pieces sending glass and lager all over the place - fortunately the waiteress had see this happen and came to our aid to clean it up, she didn't seem surprised at this happening !

Two elderly ladies who were sat behind us, told us they had see this happen before at our table and laughingly said the pub had a ghost, we laughed it off.

Anyone ever experienced a pint glass shattering on its own ?

Some tit with an air rifle.

It happened to me one night in a pub in Chesterfield I was standing holding my glass when all of a sudden the bottom of the glass just sort of fell away, leaving me just holding the top half, it really shocked me and my two friends, I just put it down to a hair line crack just giving way.

Subsidence.

I worked in a pub for a few years. If it is a busy bar the glasses will get washed hundreds, if not thousands of times. Occasionally one does fail and smashes for no apparent reason. I didn't see it happen very often, glasses getting dropped and smashed by staff or stolen by customers was more common.

Archived