Typhoon Haiyan Shelter boxes-please help

gnomi

Over 650,000 people have been displaced in the Philippines following Typhoon Haiyan. It is reported that over 10 million people have been affected by the largest ever recorded storm to hit landfall, which struck the Southeast Asian country on Saturday. This morning a team of warehouse volunteers were packing 200 boxes at ShelterBox HQ to help families affected by the natural disaster. We have teams on the ground carrying out assessments in Cebu, Bohol and Tacloban. This could only happen thanks to your support and donations.

Please offer help towards these fantastic shelter boxes- and all the money you donate is used as well

Link here :

https://shelterbox.org/

I was surprised that there wasn't already a thread too Ash.. Its heartbreaking and almost unthinkable- so so many people dead. The problem with aid though is just how much of the donated money ends up with the people in need? That's why i donate to the shelter boxes as every penny goes where you want it to.

I was surprised that there wasn't already a thread too Ash.. Its heartbreaking and almost unthinkable- so so many people dead. The problem with aid though is just how much of the donated money ends up with the people in need? That's why i donate to the shelter boxes as every penny goes where you want it to.

I think that is a problem. People are more reluctant to donate money these days because of corrupt places/organisations that people hear about in the media.

Things look to be getting worse at the mo, because increasing desperation is meaning that it's harder to land helicopters.

It's a shame we can't use our troops that are already half way around the world to go and help. Thousands of skilled men and women could be a great help.

I believe all main TV stations are airing an appeal this evening.

On the news yesterday it did appear the emergency response was slow, but it takes a little time for the agencies to get organised and apparently according to the DEC the immediate response has been overwhelming.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24901486

It really puts things in perceptive when you see the scale of disaster those people are experiencing!

I was amazed the tv news crews all got there within a couple of days but help can't. Why? They would use the same airports, roads etc surely?
Might that be because some TV crews were there before the expected typhoon, and prior to it being known how much damage it was going to cause.

The media only need a couple of people's luggage allowance to get the necessary gear in place, gear that's otherwise just sat around waiting to go the rest of the time. The complicated bit is booking the plane tickets and getting appropriate visa's.

An international aid effort on the other hand needs a bit more planning and logistics before it can swing into action.

Can't find a thread about it.

There is another one now mentioning the typhoon but its all about which of two charities should receive priority donations.

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 18:05 ----------

An international aid effort on the other hand needs a bit more planning and logistics before it can swing into action.

Yes exactly, some chaos to begin with is inevitable.

Archived