Can you go on amber lights?

So today I was approaching the line for stop and it changed to amber before I got to the line so I braked from 30mph. And 2 seconds later I hear braking noise a van behind me braked and was 1 meter from hitting me so would you say its his fault for being to close? So if he hit me who would win the claim from insurance? and next time if same thing happen what should I do?

You would "win" in that you were in you were right :)

However, it'd be his word against yours when it comes to the insurance company deciding who to blame :roll:

Amber means STOP AT THE LINE IF IT SAFE TO DO SO (emphasis added, I'm not shouting at you)

The only signal where you are permitted to proceed is a GREEN light.

Amber does not mean "oh heck speed up you'll get through"... It means "Stop", as does the red light.

If the van driver is up your backside, then it's generally deemed that he is too close to youand will (usually) be at fault (the only exception, I think, is if you reverse and hit him)

Firstly, as highlighted by your post yesterday, you need to read the highway code.

Secondly, amber means stop unless it is unsafe to do so.

jb

Junctions controlled by traffic lights 175

You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183

So today I was approaching the line for stop and it changed to amber before I got to the line so I braked from 30mph. And 2 seconds later I hear braking noise a van behind me braked and was 1 meter from hitting me so would you say its his fault for being to close? So if he hit me who would win the claim from insurance? and next time if same thing happen what should I do?

He would proberly argue that you could have gone through if you were so close to the line,but if he had ran into the back of you,then he would be at fault and you would win the insurance claim.

stopping on amber is good... slamming the brakes on at amber isnt good...if someone arse ends you , its usually their fault, but I think most people in this instance would have gone thru at amber if that close to the stop line..

It changed to amber before I got to the line so I had to stop. So therefore I had to stop not to go over red light!

I suppose each case will depend on (1) how fast you are going and (2) how close you are to the line when the lights change and (3) whether there are any cameras or Police about.

As has been said, stopping on amber is good, while performing an emergency stop on amber might cause a rear-end collision :)

Archived