Can you go on amber lights?

Normally the light sequences are timed so that you can stop before the red light shows without having to brake sharply. The only situations I can think of where you had to go through an amber light (without having to brake sharply) is if you are speeding or there is ice and snow on the road, in which case you should be travelling slower anyway. Or, you are aware that the vehicle behind is far too close as you approach the lights.

The only signal where you are permitted to proceed is a GREEN light.

Amber does not mean "oh heck speed up you'll get through"... It means "Stop", as does the red light.

If the van driver is up your backside, then it's generally deemed that he is too close to youand will (usually) be at fault (the only exception, I think, is if you reverse and hit him)

If you know them that well you probably don't need insurance.:hihi:

As a motorcyclist,and bearing in mind you were on a scooter,in the circumstances you describe,I would not try to stop.On a bike you can be more aware of things happening infront and to the sides of you.You have little or no control over what is happening behind you.You can,most likely, stop much quicker than a van so you were lucky he didn't rear end you.And if he did fault and insurance claims would likely be irrelavant to you.It might help your family pay for the funeral,though.

Learn to ride defensivley and be more aware of what's happening around you.If you think a car or van is too close behind you,let it past!

It depends on the junction and volume of traffic, pedestrians, cyclist etc.... in 99% of cases it's usually safe for drivers to go through a junction on amber, if it wasn't then there would be far more accidents.

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 01:56 ----------

Green means go, red means stop.

Amber means go faster.

In world cities like London where driving standards are more 'assertive' the flow of traffic always forces you to go through junctions on amber and red lights mean just 4 more cars!

People should always be traveling far enough behind you to be able to stop safely should you do an emergency stop.

So if he struggled to stop when you braked and it wasn't an emergency, then yes he was definitely too close.

True, but as we all know, there are a vast number of drivers who don't leave a big enough gap, so ask yourself not "can I stop in time" but "can the person behind me stop in time"

It might ultimately be their fault for going into the back of you, but it means a wait with a damaged car and all the stress that comes with dealing with insurance companies. Slow down more so that if you need to stop, you can stop more gently giving the tailgater opportunity not to drive into your arse. or in this case, if you can't safely stop by the line, check that there isn't a soft squidgy thing already making its way across the road and continue across the line.

He mightn't have been too close, he may not have been paying sufficient attention (read: texting/changing the aircon/opening packet of crisps/other) and as such had to brake late. Hence why it is wise to keep constantly aware of your surroundings, front side and rear and be prepared to pull forward quickly (if safe to do so) until your happy that the car behind has stopped.

Archived