Can you go on amber lights?

Normally the light sequences are timed so that you can stop before the red light shows without having to brake sharply. The only situations I can think of where you had to go through an amber light (without having to brake sharply) is if you are speeding or there is ice and snow on the road, in which case you should be travelling slower anyway. Or, you are aware that the vehicle behind is far too close as you approach the lights.

Really?? So what your saying is the traffic lights monitor your exact position, work out your stopping distance (taking into account your brake conditions, weight, weight of load etc.) to make sure you are not to close to safely stop when they change??. What a load of codswallop.

Also to the op, what may seem like a safe stopping distance to a scooter may not be to a van with a heavy load on. Always be aware of what's behind you when approach lights that could change.

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 06:39 ----------

And 2 seconds later I hear braking noise a van behind me braked

Plus the van braked after 3 seconds after I stopped

You'd need to get your story straight for the insurance to be on your side.

both recognition and reaction time is often 2 seconds

From a site about stopping distances, so the van driver in this circumstance acted correctly and the blame could possibly be put on the op as the Highway Code clearly states as somebody pointed out above that you shouldn't brake hard if it could result in an accident.

If you have to slam your brakes on for an amber light you were too close to stop! If it starts to change while you're upon it carry on. If you can stop safely, stop. Don't forget on a bike as well, if it's wet and you slam on, you could come off! On a bike never slam on for no reason. If van driver had gone into the back of you, in the eyes of the insurance, it would have been automatically his fault but you might have been dead.

Do you need to have any training to pick up a scooter? If not, I would suggest that you get some.

As others have said, you need to ride more defensively and be more aware of the road conditions. Going through traffic lights in a thirty zone does not mean that you should be doing thirty. You are going through a junction (could have been a pedestrian crossing I suppose). Other vehicles will be coming across that junction - even if your lights are on green, there could be some muppet coming the other way who decided that they hadn't seen the lights on red - or claimed that the red light wasn't working - or was an emergency vehicle looking for a car going through and didn't see a small scooter. Even though the lights may say green, you still need to be prepared.

You need to remember that most people are driving over a tonne of steel with a lovely cage protecting them. You are on two small squares of rubber with nothing but a few layers of fabric between you and approaching vehicles. It doesn't matter who is in the right or wrong - you get hit and it's gonna hurt - maybe fatally. It will be no comfort to your parents when someone takes you out on a junction for them to know that it was the other driver's fault.

Regarding the traffic lights incident - if you had were hit from behind then it would have been the van driver's fault. Even if the lights were on green, if you could show that you had reason to need to do a quick stop and someone hits you from the rear then it is their fault. If they are fully loaded then it is them that needs to make more of a gap. However, this will be no comfort to you when you are being told that you'll never walk again having ended up being catapulted down the road off someone's bonnet.

If you can afford to buy and run a scooter, invest in some defensive riding lessons. Wear some really visible clothing too.

I've started cycling again after nearly a fifteen year gap. I have taken some cycle training even though I thought that I didn't need it. Went on something called Level 2 Bikeability - really worth it. I suggest you look at something similar for you and your scooter.

Apologies if that sounds harsh.

PS, where was this?

Slightly off topic but here goes … its 2 am, there isn’t a soul on the roads and you are stood at a red light that as been on red for several minutes … what happens next .

Proceed with caution assuming the lights are broken .

Wait and wait and wait.

This^. If lights are on red that long then it's a pretty safe bet they are broken. Proceed with caution as per the highway code.

Rule 176:... If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care.

jb

From a site about stopping distances, so the van driver in this circumstance acted correctly and the blame could possibly be put on the op as the Highway Code clearly states as somebody pointed out above that you shouldn't brake hard if it could result in an accident.

Technically shouldn't you also check your mirrors before breaking as hard as possible??

If amber means stop if it's safe to do so then you could argue it's not safe to stop with a van so close behind (because that vehicle may not stop as well as you).

(Although from the OP's description it sounds like that van wasn't that close, and simply wasn't paying attention)

Archived