Samuel Plimsoll plaque

Ms-Shapes

Browsing through a website on Sheffield plaques, I saw that there was a blue plaque for Samuel Plimsoll on Regent street - I have had a quick look ( it was dark) and can't find it, has it been removed due to the new builds here, or do I need to look closer?

Was surprised to find this 'little recognised' part of Sheffield's history.

Browsing through a website on Sheffield plaques, I saw that there was a blue plaque for Samuel Plimsoll on Regent street - I have had a quick look ( it was dark) and can't find it, has it been removed due to the new builds here, or do I need to look closer?

Was surprised to find this 'little recognised' part of Sheffield's history.

The plaque isn't really where his house was, Samuel was a Clerk at Rawson's Brewery in Pond St, the Polytechnic stands on its site, he earned the princely sum of £1 per week before he moved to London as they say the rest is history.

There is a plaque on the wall of Regent Court, near to Samuel Plimsoll's home which was on the corner of Regent Street and Portobello Street - here's a photo. The picturesheffield.com site has a photo of the building before it was demolished - here is a link..:)

This is right, I often walked past wondering who he was, just googled it :)

Archived