Cameron calls for permanent austerity, delivers speech in opulent surr

Cant be that bad bearing in mind how many try to get it. Would be an interesting experiment to see if the applications fall with the wages

Pity there is no guts to try it :(

Also on a point of question, if you regularly spend more than 50 % of your time in a particular region, shouldnt THAT be your home?

At the moment MPs don't have to do it either..my question was would you? You're advocating a cut in salary and a loss of expenses...would you do the job given those circumstances?

The context provided for the delivery is completely wrong, indeed. What were his PR handlers thinking? :rolleyes:

Though that linked article seems a bit of a p***take, tbh.

I mean, red-circling and then itemising "gold things", when Cameron was attending the Lord Mayor's Banquet in the City of London, where such regalia is completely routine, as traditional?

Making a point of itemising:

• "A huge gold throne" (the Townhall's period chair :rolleyes:)
  • "A huge necklace on the lady sitting on the throne" (the Mayoress's office pendant :rolleyes:)
  • "A gold speech stand" (most probably brass, and period :rolleyes:)
  • "Several expensive looking glasses and chalices filled with wine" (a couple of wine glasses :rolleyes:)
  • "Tuxes with white ties" (oh FFS, this is getting beyond a laugh! :rolleyes:)

REALLY?!?

Who wrote this, a frothing-at-the-mouth communist? Now, they weren't exactly adverse to enjoying the Romanov's regalia themselves...

Why would the person who wrote it be a communist. You don't have to have any political viewpoint or agenda to objectively judge the appropriateness of the venue for this speech?

It's an observation about how out of touch the man is.

This happened at the lord mayors banquette. Something that happens every year and has been happening for hundreds of years.

Before passing comment based on an article that is less then a paragraph long. Try reading the whole speech here: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/lord-mayors-banquet-2013-prime-ministers-speech

Why would the person who wrote it be a communist. You don't have to have any political viewpoint or agenda to objectively judge the appropriateness of the venue for this speech?

Is Joe Weisenthal American....?

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 14:00 ----------

It's an observation about how out of touch the man is.

I'm sure we can find pictures of T Blair and G Brown dressed much the same in the same room (same chair even) giving a similar speech....

Lets put some meat on the bones here.

This is what Cameron said and what is selectively quoted in this article.

Again, this government has a plan for the long term – and we are sticking to the task.

Finally, everyone knows that we need a bigger and more prosperous private sector to generate wealth and pay for the public services we need.

That means we need to support, reward and celebrate enterprise.

That requires a fundamental culture change in our country.

If interest rates and mortgage rates start to soar, the increase in cost of living will far outweigh the impact of any increase in government spending or indeed reduction in taxation.

This government is not prepared to let that happen.

We have a plan – and we are carefully implementing that plan.

Already we have cut the deficit by a third. And we are sticking to the task.

But that doesn’t just mean making difficult decisions on public spending.

It also means something more profound.

It means building a leaner, more efficient state.

We need to do more with less.

Not just now, but permanently.

I see nothing new in this. Successive Tory governments have championed small government. This is opposed to the Labour mentality of big government. There is nothing new here.

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 14:05 ----------

I'm sure we can find pictures of T Blair and G Brown dressed much the same in the same room (same chair even) giving a similar speech....

done and done.

Gordon Brown sat on the golden throne, dressed the same as Cameron.

And Tony Blair looking the same.

What speeches did they give and what did they wear?

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 14:17 ----------

Lets put some meat on the bones here.

This is what Cameron said and what is selectively quoted in this article.

I see nothing new in this. Successive Tory governments have championed small government. This is opposed to the Labour mentality of big government. There is nothing new here.

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 14:05 ----------

done and done.

Gordon Brown sat on the golden throne, dressed the same as Cameron.

And Tony Blair looking the same.

And the speeches? What did they say?

They'll both have given speeches at the LM's banquet and will have worn their best bib and tucker...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1084555/Brown-urges-Obama-help-build-truly-global-society.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/nov/14/syria.iraq

No idea, but what Cameron says is no different to what they have been saying for years. He doesn't say permanent austerity, he says permanent small government.

It means building a leaner, more efficient state. We need to do more with less. Not just now, but permanently.

They'll both have given speeches at the LM's banquet and will have worn their best bib and tucker...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1084555/Brown-urges-Obama-help-build-truly-global-society.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/nov/14/syria.iraq

They didn't always conform to the dress code as I recall.

Anyway, my point is they go there to say things to please the City. Tossers all of them.

They didn't always conform to the dress code as I recall.

Anyway, my point is they go there to say things to please the City. Tossers all of them.

They're observing the dress code in the photos I linked to....my point is Cameron is doing nothing different to any prime minister in the past..even good old Harold did it in 1964

http://www.diomedia.com/public/;jsessionid=0178CCE78894373363DBB2F6AA99C2FF.worker2en/4235330/imageDetails.html

Archived