Typhoon or Children in Need?

To you maybe.

There's no maybe about it.

You're comparing children who're a bit hungry with children who now have nowhere to live and nobody to support them in the middle of a natural disaster.

Im a bit more patriotic than you and feel we help our own first.

As I said, if you want to help our needy first that's fine. Trying to make out that ours are suffering in anywhere near the same way as those in the Philippines is wrong - regardless of how patriotic I or anyone else is (note I've not said who I'm donating to - it's irrelevant to my point).

Why "Or"? How about "Both" ?

Or how about "neither"? The government is already throwing millions of pounds of taxpayers' money at the Philippines while the BBC is a corrupt organisation that for years allowed paedophiles like Jimmy Savile and Stuart Hall to get away with crimes against children.

the BBC is a corrupt organisation that for years allowed paedophiles like Jimmy Savile and Stuart Hall to get away with crimes against children.

The BBC itself doesn't get to touch the CiN funds though - CiN is a separate charity.

Actually not all kids here have clean water etc and there are a lot of kids who need help. You only have to look at past events of kids dying after not been looked after etc

That's an ommision of care, not lack of supplies. Totally different thing.

I find the 'look after our own' a horrible thing to read if you've seen the scale of destruction there, however, that's personal opinion, and counts for nothing other than to me; what I've read in this thread backs up what I believe and wrote, and it's been shown why in this thread.

I think that when you give money to charity, the money should go where they say it is going, and the choice is then for everyone to decide who to give to, if anything.

It's that time of year again where everyone who can, digs into their pockets ... Children in Need.

At the same time there's the mass devastation in the Philippenes in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan. A death toll of over 10,000 (and sure to rise) and 650,000 people displaced or homeless.

Under the circumstances, do you think it would be a good idea for the Children in Need charity to donate some, or if not all of the money they raise this year to help aid in the Philippenes? If not, how should people donate, bearing in mind that many who want to have limited funds?

The government (ours) has said they'll very kindly match our aid pound for pound to the Typhoon disaster fund ... up to 5 million pounds. This is peanuts.

Personally, I think the typhoon victims (many who are children) take priority, but it's a difficult decision.

I'm not writing this to cause argument and don't want any trolling ... where should our money go? Do we just split our donations 50/50?

This one.

Our Disaster Management Response Team has just arrived in the Philippines. Our first aim is to provide basic aid to the animals most urgently in need. Your urgent donation today will not only help animals in the Philippines, it will also help to ensure that our disaster teams can provide the best emergency care for animals whenever and wherever WSPA might be called on. Your urgent donation is needed today.

I guess one thing to consider though is that (hopefully) many countries will be supporting the Philippines, whereas Children In Need is supported (mainly) by UK based people/organisations.

of course there is a massive difference between the donors/contributors to the two, as you would expect - but there is also a massive difference between the purpose and necessity of the two

i hope the philippines appeal does not cause a reduction in the level of contributions to CiN

Archived