Blunkett - Influx of Roma migrants could cause riots.

Don't you see the logic...? If there are less workers available then anyone wanting to employ someone will have to pay higher wages to attract them.. to put it crudely it's supply and demand..

Have you ever heard of take it or leave it, there are plenty of other people to fill your shoes etc?

Don't you see the logic...? If there are less workers available then anyone wanting to employ someone will have to pay higher wages to attract them.. to put it crudely it's supply and demand..

But there's two sides to the supply & demand equation..artificially restricting the labour supply to increase demand for homegrown workers would mean reduced demand for our products and services, here and abroad.

what logic the employer will just take them on with part time hours and the rest being made up with money from the taxpayer.:roll:

Have you ever heard of take it or leave it, there are plenty of other people to fill your shoes etc?

Not if there aren't many people looking for work...that's the important bit... if ,for example, there are 10 companies all looking to expand and want to employ another person each and there are only 6 people looking for work then either the companies don't expand or they have to pay more than the others to get the employees...

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 10:13 ----------

But there's two sides to the supply & demand equation..artificially restricting the labour supply to increase demand for homegrown workers would mean reduced demand for our products and services, here and abroad.

Are you saying that having more people in employment with higher wages creates less demand for goods? :confused:

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 10:15 ----------

what logic the employer will just take them on with part time hours and the rest being made up with money from the taxpayer.:roll:

Not if there are fewer workers available...if there are 5 full time jobs available at a company somewhere and only 5 people looking for jobs how can the company set these on part time?

Not if there aren't many people looking for work...that's the important bit... if ,for example, there are 10 companies all looking to expand and want to employ another person each and there are only 6 people looking for work then either the companies don't expand or they have to pay more than the others to get the employees...

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 10:13 ----------

Are you saying that having more people in employment with higher wages creates less demand for goods? :confused:

---------- Post added 03-01-2014 at 10:15 ----------

Not if there are fewer workers available...if there are 5 full time jobs available at a company somewhere and only 5 people looking for jobs how can the company set these on part time?

It doesn't work like that. Besides businesses prefer to barely cope in running, employing one person who can't actually manage but gets work done at an acceptable rate, usually the bare minimum, instead of employing the three people needed to get the job done efficiently and on time.

It doesn't work like that. Besides businesses prefer to barely cope in running, employing one person who can't actually manage but gets work done at an acceptable rate, usually the bare minimum, instead of employing the three people needed to get the job done efficiently and on time.

How does it work then...? If one guy can do the job adequately then there isn't work for 3 people...If the number of people available to fill a position is of no consequence to their salary then how come highly trained people who are in short supply get higher wages? These are genuine questions..not being funny or sarcastic..where do you think the highest salaries would be ..a country with 5,000 vacancies and 200,000 people chasing them or a country with 200,000 vacancies and 5,000 people chasing them?

You raised the supply & demand issue truman, high unemployment doesn't create demand for products and services, it's the other way round.

If there's high demand for our products and services then that will support high employment and labour costs, but if we price ourselves out of the market then naturally the demand for those products and services will decline resulting in lower employment and lower wages.

You raised the supply & demand issue truman, high unemployment doesn't create demand for products and services, it's the other way round.

If there's high demand for our products and services then that will support high employment and labour costs, but if we price ourselves out of the market then naturally the demand for those products and services will decline resulting in lower employment and lower wages.

I'm not sure you're disagreeing with me...I know high unemployment doesn't create demand..I think I said that..so are you in favour of lower wages then? That seems to be what you're advocating...

So you'd rather point a finger at immigrants then rather than market forces? Could you offer guidance on how our businesses can compete against competition from countries who have well motivated individuals and even lower labour costs than we do?

You are confusing me stating a fact with pointing the finger at immigrants, and the local coffee shop or fact food outlet doesn't have competition from countries who have well motivated individuals and lower labour costs. What it does have is a supply of cheap labour which means there is no need to pay a living wage.

I'm not sure you're disagreeing with me...I know high unemployment doesn't create demand..I think I said that..so are you in favour of lower wages then? That seems to be what you're advocating...

Not at all, the argument I was addressing was one which suggested that if immigrants weren't here and enabling British employers to maintain low wages (assuming they are) that wages would be higher. That's only the case if the demand for products and services is inelastic.

Archived