Gastric Bands: Encouraging the obese to be even lazier?

Then they are delusional.

Your body can only take being more than 20% overweight for so long, then things start to go.

Your knees, hips and other joints (which are not designed to bear all that extra weight).

Your fertility (both men and women).

Your general fitness levels. Heart health. The obese rarely exercise in a cardio-vascularly beneficial way, even if they are not sedentary.

Also, because the extra calories are (in most cases) coming from refined, sugary foods, you develop Type 2 Diabetes and the fun really starts.

If they're coming from alcohol as well (as they often do), your liver will be struggling to cope and may give up the fight.

And I am not talking about when you're in your 60s or 70s..For the first time in history, doctors are identifying these conditions at 'epidemic' levels in 20+, 30+ 40+ year olds. Alarming.

Don't kid yourself that it is possible to be obese and otherwise healthy.

No, they're happy. Seriously well-adjusted people who love life.

No, they're happy. Seriously well-adjusted people who love life.

I'll assume that's an ironic comment!

No ones saying that, we're saying obese and uncaring of anyone elses attitudes.

And I am saying that any clinically/morbidly obese person who (regardless of what others think) believes he or she is genuinely healthy and happy, is self-delusional.

And unfortunately as with all cases anecdotal evidence proves you can be obese(on the BMI) and healthy and also that you can be of the correct weight and unhealthy
Yes, I know what your're saying and I agree that the BMI figures aren't always reliable, especially for muscley people. But the thread was about the kind of obesity which leads to gastric bands being offered - we're talking dangerously overweight here, not just BMI of 26 or 28.

I'll assume that's an ironic comment!

And I am saying that any clinically/morbidly obese person who (regardless of what others think) believes he or she is genuinely healthy and happy, is self-delusional.

.Yes, I knnow what your're saying and I agree that the BMI figures aren't always reliable, especially for muscley people. But the thread was about the kind of obesity which leads to gastric bands being offered - we're talking dangerously overweight here, not just BMI of 26 or 28.

No not ironic. Some of the happiest people I know. Sorry if it blows a hole in your ridiculous prejudices.

Some overweight people are happy with the way they are.

Some of the happiest people I know. Sorry if it blows a hole in your ridiculous prejudices.

Some overweight people are happy with the way they are.

I am not talking 'everyday overweight' (i.e. a stone or two above the desirable weight for your height). I am talking about clinically or morbidly obese people, who are carrying perhaps 150-300% of their desirable weight around, restrict their lifestyle because of it, do so for years, then die young. If they tell you they are genuinely happy and content to be like that, they are lying (or as I said, self-delusional).

And please don't assume I am prejudiced against obese people - they may to some extent be victims (of various forces) but once adult, they are responsible for their own size. I'm all for people taking responsibility, but if they don't, it's hardly 'prejudice' on my part to criticise their lack of effort!

I've seen programmes where the obese person cannot get out of bed allegedly. So they can't cook, who is putting food in their mouths?

A carer?

If you cared for someone surely you would want the best for them and not indulge them

A carer can advise,but not force someone to eat healthier.

Processed food is the often cheapest, most readily available food. And it's often quite filling.

As the name suggests it has gone through industrialised processing where fats, starches and sugars are often added.

It's often (though not always) poisonous fattening crap but is all that a lot of people can afford.

Throw in a mix of inadequate education, barriers to accessing leisure activities, encouragement of sedentary lifestyles and you have millions of people sleepwalking into a bleak and unhealthy future.

I'd say this was spot on, too.

Archived