Gastric Bands: Encouraging the obese to be even lazier?

Why? What's that got to do with it?

Nor would you want to I hope.

Tragic, but if that woman was an adult of sound mind, that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Human rights has a lot to do with it.

We have another client who would eat his way through the contents of his fridge and pantry all day long. In his best interests and in agreement with his family, we decided to keep them locked. His support team obviously provided him with the things he wanted,but in a more balanced way throughout the day.This worked well for years until a few months ago when we were told it was against his human rights to deny him access to food whenever he wants.

And guess what? He's banged on the weight! And there's pickle all we can do about it.

I don't completely disagree with you, but I think it's too easy for people to attribute laziness to large people only. I'm pretty slim, I hate exercise with a passion (apart from swimming), and I'm probably quite unfit, but I don't think people would automatically call me lazy, because I look OK, I fit into society's picture of an acceptable way to be. But it's nothing I've done particularly, I've probably inherited my size from my parents.

Where did I attribute laziness to large people only?

From my perspective as a retired teacher and now self employed decorator, I can report that laziness is endemic amongst many school pupils, their parents, and amongst many tradespeople, in particular builders and electricians.

Where did I attribute laziness to large people only?

From my perspective as a retired teacher and now self employed decorator, I can report that laziness is endemic amongst many school pupils, their parents, and amongst many tradespeople, in particular builders and electricians.

Sorry Alice, I think I was just roping you in with the general perception - we agree, lazy arses come in all forms :)

I dont understand why i got overweight as i was 9stone at 60yrs (and never had to watch the weight) after that the weight slowly crept up, i dont eat take aways, or pizza or drink fizzy pop, i have a cheeseburger about 3/4 a year, i worked until i was 65 I did stop smoking at that time. i'm 70 now but active and have a grandchild 3days every week for 2.5 years. the money i paid for the hynotsis was my xmas prezzy so got nowt to see for it.

I dont understand why i got overweight as i was 9stone at 60yrs (and never had to watch the weight) after that the weight slowly crept up, i dont eat take aways, or pizza or drink fizzy pop, i have a cheeseburger about 3/4 a year, i worked until i was 65 I did stop smoking at that time. i'm 70 now but active and have a grandchild 3days every week for 2.5 years. the money i paid for the hynotsis was my xmas prezzy so got nowt to see for it.

The human metabolism does change with age and it's an annoying fact that many people find it harder to shed excess pounds between the ages of 45 and 75.

The only guaranteed way to lose it and keep it off, is to adopt a low glycaemic index diet based on unrefined foods as far as possible (so wholemeal bread rather than white, etc, Mediterranean style meals,)., with some protein at every meal, lots (and I mean lots!) of complex carbohydrates (fruit and vegetables), a small amount of unsaturated fat (e.g. olive oil) and limited amounts of starch (bread, pasta, potatoes, cake, etc).

These foods get your blood sugar under control by breaking the sugar-rush high-low-crash cycle which is the reason most people get cravings for sweet things/carbs/fat when dieting, and you feel satisfied for longer after eating (not to mention the reason there is so much Type 2 Diabetes around). The weight comes off steadily (about 5lbs in the first week then about 1-3lbs per week) and keeps coming off. When you reach a weight you're happy with, you can adapt it to eat more without putting the pounds back on. It's a lifestyle change rather than a weight-loss diet as such, but it's what we are meant to eat. (We're definitely not meant to consume sugary breakfast cereals, confectionery, crisps, and soft drinks in the way a lot of overweight people do).

I embarked on this regime when I started putting on weight in my 40s, I was worried about Type 2 diabetes (from which several of my relatives suffer) and exercise alone didn't seem to be making any difference. It's simple, but effective and it re-educates your palate not to want a shedload of sweet stuff. I lost 2 stones in 5 months and it hasn't crept back on. There are several books on low-glycaemic index foodstuffs/recipes, but the one I used was called The Woman's Own 5 day Miracle Diet by Adele Puhn. It's not a miracle (it's based on nutritional science), and I skipped a lot of the gushy stuff (American author!) but the principles are absolutely sound and it works.

Archived