Achilles injury - advice needed!

hannahdlz

I was training last year with the intention of doing the marathon and it was all going well until November when I suddenly got a really nasty pain in my heel. It was so bad at first that I couldn't even put my trainer on, let alone run anywhere. Apparently it's 'achilles tendonitis' and everyone I've spoken to about it has said that the only thing I can do is rest it. It's now been 3 months and although it's a lot better, I still can't run (so obviously not doing the marathon!) and am getting really frustrated as my fitness level is just going down and down. I can't even go swimming because even that hurts my heel. Has anyone else encountered this? If anyone has any advice or information I'd be really grateful.. Will it ever get better??!!! :(

I severed my achilles tendon a few years ago and I have this problem from time to time and its agony so I know what you are going through. When it crops up I pretty much end up on cruthes for a couple of weeks.

Have you seen your doctor about this? ask for an xray and see if they can pinpoint where the actual problem is and then see a sports physio/osteopath, they can be expensive but they do know their stuff. The last time I had the problem I had ultra sound and had a series of exercises to do which did clear it up but if you have still got the problem after 4 months there may be underlying problems which should be checked out.

Don't be fobbed off with give it rest ect, if you have had the problem

Thanks carcrash that's really helpful! I've been putting off the expensive physio stuff kind of hoping that it will just go away but it looks like I might not have a choice now..

Next question - can you recommend a good sports physio??!!

I had Exactly the same thing when i was a teenager.. Unfortunately you just have to keep off it, there is no magic cure.. I visited a physio regularly and had ultrasound treatment on it.. It helped but i was still unable to play football for almost a season.. Hopefully it will get better, mine did. The pain in my heel gradually dulled and i was able to play again. Just give it time, and go visit a physio!

Allthough there is no magic treatments, you can help your self by going into your chemist and buying a foot lift for your shoes, these are sized roughly around 12-15mm, and are said to be upto 75% effective in helping with the healing process, this sort of treatment is highly recommended by leading sports physiasists and used by top runners!

Matt

I ruptured mine in 1988 like some of the others on here, and i feel for you because the pain is not good.

Ice, heat and a foot lift, like mentioned are the way forward.

Put your foot in a bucket of cold water and add loads of ice and leave in it for about 20 to 30 mins. If possible Its ideal then to surround the foot in warm water, if possible in the bath. You stop the blood flow then in effect speed it up with heat. You cant do this enough through the day. A minimum of 4 times a day.

You have got to raise the heel all day whilst standing on it. Even to the point of putting them in your carpet slippers. I used some " expansion joint " from most good builders merchants. It comes in big strips, and I had some in every pair of footwear I wore. The material does crush so you would keep replacing it.

Treated correctly you should be fit in a month. I dont think you need a physio, i was under one and he told me how to treat it.

I would also treat the other Achilles, otherwise there is a good chance it will start hurting when the injured one is back to normal because it is under more pressure.

Hope it helps.

Archived