100 days of snow ..on the way!

I put winter tyres on all four corners and pretty much got anywhere I wanted to go in my 2 wheel drive Octavia tdi last time we had major snow!!! I ditched my Subaru impreza turbo as it just span all four wheels on its standard tyres and felt very twitchy in general, just make sure if you are buying second hand winter tyres they have more than 4mm of tread on them. :)

I have told this story before on the forum but it is still true today, in 1977 we took a brand new Land Rover with all the expedition addons to the Arctic in winter. The LR had difficulties and ran off the road causing a great deal of damage to it and the local power supply, it had to be rescued and temporarily repairs done before being returned to the UK for fixing. The locals did not have 4x4's, just normal cars but with winter tyres. I used a standard hire car with winter tyres on all my many winter stays, I never had any problems even down to -35c and many inches of snow.

Regarding 4x4s, a few winters ago my OH was driving home from work through a fairly rural part and came across a brand spanking new Range Rover in a ditch. He stopped to help and the woman was going on and on about how could this happen to her, she'd bought the car so the snow wouldn't matter to her, and ranting constantly about how 4x4s are supposed to be good in snow.

A farmer in an old Disco came past, hooked her up and dragged her out no problem, before tootling on his way. No idea how she got home :D

Regarding 4x4s, a few winters ago my OH was driving home from work through a fairly rural part and came across a brand spanking new Range Rover in a ditch. He stopped to help and the woman was going on and on about how could this happen to her, she'd bought the car so the snow wouldn't matter to her, and ranting constantly about how 4x4s are supposed to be good in snow.

A farmer in an old Disco came past, hooked her up and dragged her out no problem, before tootling on his way. No idea how she got home :D

She needs to learn how to turn the terrain selector knob by the sounds of it...

Its here the big freeze and its going to last for 3 months.

Good god, I have my survival rations in the car and I've stocked up with tins of beans when the worst of the weather arrives. Also got items in the garden that can break wind and so my flowers should not get too badly damaged.