100 days of snow ..on the way!

The weather app on my phone is showing snow for Saturday and Sunday so will wait and see what happens.

Get a new phone. :hihi:

I'm not sure whether it was on this thread, but somebody mentioned that the editor of the Express admitted that weather sells papers, so they often like to sensationalise.

They'll get a report from some dodgy weather forecaster and use that as the basis of their story, even if the more qualified Met Office tell them it's a load of tosh.

Ever since I heard about that I take any weather story in the Express with a pinch of salt.

No doubt they will eventually get one correct, but as the saying goes, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Regards

Doom

The iOS weather app seems to think its going to snow on Sunday and Wednesday next week. It was only 1 degree first thing this morning so there is a chance.

I am off to stock up on bread and milk later this morning.

What about snow tyres ?

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 09:35 ----------

Think you'll find Spring doesn't start until 21st March

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Met Office uses 1st March now.

Met Office uses 1st March now.

Spring starts after the vernal equinox which is on the 20th March this year, therefore Spring starts at midnight the 21st March.

The Met Office don't get to decide when it is as its due to the tilt of the planet and the number of hours sunlight in the day. I would be interested in seeing where the Met office claim Spring starts on the 1st March as its a bit odd they would be so out and contradict thousands of years of experience.

Edited by WeX

Spring starts after the vernal equinox which is on the 20th March this year, therefore Spring starts at midnight the 21st March.

Partly correct...

Spring starts on the same day, so 20th March this year...

http://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-spring-vernal-equinox

Google "When does spring start 2014" and every link you click says the same...

Partly correct...

Spring starts on the same day, so 20th March this year...

http://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-spring-vernal-equinox

Google "When does spring start 2014" and every link you click says the same...

I always thought spring started after the vernal equinox, so the 21st would be correct but if it starts on the equinox, then its 20th like you said.

I always thought spring started after the vernal equinox, so the 21st would be correct but if it starts on the equinox, then its 20th like you said.

spring is a human construct and therefore it can start whenever you want it too :)

The exact moment of the equinox moves around due to the wibbles and wobbles of the earth's orbit.

spring is a human construct and therefore it can start whenever you want it too :)

The exact moment of the equinox moves around due to the wibbles and wobbles of the earth's orbit.

You're mistaken there. Spring describes real events so is not a human construct. Its tangible, it can be measured. Its when the Earth's axis are parallel to that of the sun.

Spring is a word to describe the Vernal Equinox experience din the northern hemisphere. Just because we call it "Spring" doesn't mean its not real, in the same way just because we call "Narcissus Pseudonarcissus", daffodils doesn't mean daffodils are a human construct.

"God" is an example of a human construct.

Edited by WeX