100 days of snow ..on the way!

Most of us have houses with roofs on (and insurance in case they blow off) and most of us can afford warm clothes and heating. As long as people continue to check that their elderly or frail neighbours are coping OK in a cold spell, the country does not need to declare a national emergency if it snows.

Tenants in rented accommodation with inadequate heating should first be be wearing warmer clothes and if that isn't enough, putting pressure on their landlords to improve it.

Edited by aliceBB

Well with an average additional dead above the normal seasonal average the 30,000 deaths normally associated with a long cold spell, sounds like an all time record.

I can almost hear those cash tills ringing in the parlours of the corporate funeral services, so heaven for some.

Just think of all those empty properties, all that stuff the people accumulated over a lifetime, either sold or on the tip, proving that the managerial corporate system of neglect will succeed in weeding out and prematurely pushing thousands into the crematorium furnaces. So if you have extra cash to invest then the funeral services are dead certain to provide dividends from the ashes of the fallen ones.

You too can look forewords to an old age where neglect is a commonly shared experience.

But its interesting to note the followers of the tabloid truth, are so keen to interact with their vast knowledge provided by their limited information pool.

Edited by erebus

Hurricanes & 100 days of snow, we are talking about the UK? People do blow things out of proportion. Bit of wind and about 3 inches is all I remember from the last few winters.

The 100 days story is from last year (when nothing of the sort happened) - the express use a discredited and unqualified 'weather service' to make outrageous made up claims about the weather and run them as news.

The 100 days story is from last year (when nothing of the sort happened) - the express use a discredited and unqualified 'weather service' to make outrageous made up claims about the weather and run them as news.

I agree. This thread concerns the 2013/2014 Winter and ought to be capped now.

Interesting one this as no newspapers are on the bandwagon yet but there are a lot of indicators that this winter will be significantly colder than it was last winter. El Nino, Solar Flares, lack of powerful Atlantic hurricanes and the water temperatures in the Indian Ocean all currently point towards the Jet Stream being a lot further South.

Met Offices all over the globe are all consistently starting to draw up models that indicate we'll see cold air sat 'blocking' over the UK.

Of course it is too early to tell for sure, but quietly for those who know where to look all the arrows are starting to point towards snow, ice and frozen pipes.

Worth keeping an eye on.

Mmmm :|

So what do I do? Do I keep the 'sedate' AWD Subaru I bought (in vain) last year, and which is boring me to tears? Or do I change it for the RWD Nissan sportscar that keeps looking at me funny from the forecourt? :confused:

I suppose there's always snow socks...

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/443462/Winter-2013-expected-to-be-worst-since-1947-with-heavy-and-persistent-snow-forecast-for-UK

I know it's the Express but other papers and media sources have started to say similar stuff, guess we'll have to wait and see but the outlook this year does look bleak.

And right on cue, just about a year on, I give you...the Express' apocalyptic winter prophecy, 2014 version :hihi:

And right on cue, just about a year on, I give you...the Express' apocalyptic winter prophecy, 2014 version :hihi:

I do like the list of most read stories in their nature section :

1) Worst winter for 100 years, etc, etc...

2) Six inches of snow set for next week...

3) Britain set for mini-heatwave :hihi:

Probably linked earlier in the thread but this blog by Paul Hudson (Paul the Weatherman from Look North) from a couple of years ago make interesting reading

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/posts/whats-behind-the-coldest-winte

Mmmm :|

So what do I do? Do I keep the 'sedate' AWD Subaru I bought (in vain) last year, and which is boring me to tears? Or do I change it for the RWD Nissan sportscar that keeps looking at me funny from the forecourt? :confused:

I suppose there's always snow socks...

I'll stick with my RWD, no traction control, sports car with winter tyres. Works just fine :)