100 days of snow ..on the way!

It's an RX7 so that's why I said it ;)

Believe me I've tried in the snow on summer tyres, 1st gear starts, 2nd gear, extremely low revs and they just spin. That's why I was carrying bits of old carpet around in the boot....just in case.

Haha, I love those! A friend of mine had one, great car (in the dry)!

What we need to do when we next have snow is have a race up Jenkin Road.

I'll be in my Peugeot with the Autosocks on, Truman will have his winter tyres, tzijlstra will rely on his winter driving skills etc......Let's see who get's to the top first. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Whereas I wouldn't be surprised to find that truman does have some Michelin or Vredestein shares ;):D

It's far less of a faff to have to put on/take off snowchains/socks on those extremely rare occasions the conditions are such as to need them (personally I count such occasions on three fingers since 2010 included, and that includes two particularly bad Xmases in north east France, 2010 and 2012) than to change and store a second full set of wheels twice a year.

And the irony is that on the first of those 3 occasions I didn't yet have a set, and on the third I'd unloaded them with everything else as soon as we'd arrived in France and forgot to put them back in the boot (so did without...laboriously. Zero doubt that if I'd had them, they'd have been on, what with a 50-odd mile trip with my dad and great-aunt in the car, close to a foot of fresh snow everywhere, none of it cleared whatsoever) :blush::hihi:

But hey-ho. My opinion, which I don't hold to be a universal truth.

:) no no, Conti are my weapon of choice ... storing a set of wheels is no problem...1/2 an hour twice a year to change them over.....

---------- Post added 16-10-2014 at 10:10 ----------

What we need to do when we next have snow is have a race up Jenkin Road.

I'll be in my Peugeot with the Autosocks on, Truman will have his winter tyres, tzijlstra will rely on his winter driving skills etc......Let's see who get's to the top first. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Lets make it more interesting and come down Jenkin Road.... ::D

---------- Post added 16-10-2014 at 10:12 ----------

The guy keeps saying the kuga is all wheel drive when it's not, it's 4wd and in my experience the kuga is quite bobbins anyway in snow.

Year before last one got stuck in the snow going up rails road, we just sailed past it in the impreza.

http://www.subaru.com.au/car-advice/awd-vs-4wd

Its a valid test...same car different tyres.... go on then what do you think the difference betwee AWD and 4WD... it's not all about just going up hill...did you see the video of the cars on the ice rink? Not having a go..just a discussion... :)

Surely if you have 4 wheels, then AWD is the same as 4WD.

If you have some sort of 6 or 8 wheeled monster, then it would obviously be different.

---------- Post added 16-10-2014 at 12:47 ----------

I used socks on a Fiesta a few years ago to get up Winnets pass in the snow when the snake was closed. Worked fine, taxi in front of me couldn't do it though, he stopped and reversed down from about half way. We stopped and put the socks on the front wheels and then just calmly drove up the hill in the snow, no fuss.

Surely if you have 4 wheels, then AWD is the same as 4WD.

If you have some sort of 6 or 8 wheeled monster, then it would obviously be different.

---------- Post added 16-10-2014 at 12:47 ----------

I used socks on a Fiesta a few years ago to get up Winnets pass in the snow when the snake was closed. Worked fine, taxi in front of me couldn't do it though, he stopped and reversed down from about half way. We stopped and put the socks on the front wheels and then just calmly drove up the hill in the snow, no fuss.

According to Subaru Australia there is a difference http://www.subaru.com.au/car-advice/awd-vs-4wd?ref=mobile

Bonza!

So, the old Disco I used to have had a manually lockable centre diff using Subaru's description was it 4WD or AWD?
The badge (AWD or 4WD) does not matter, only the actual power transfer solution (and permanence or otherwise of the 4WD mode: isn't the Disco a part-time 4WD for 'regular non-muddy' use?) does.

Insofar as Subaru is concerned, the front axle shafts are driven directly off the transmission, the rear driveshaft is separately driven from the transmission through a centre differential, and it's the viscous coupling in the gearbox that does the trick of keeping the front-to-rear split at 50/50. Added to this is the computing bit and wheel sensors that detect slip a condition, shut the slip off with traction control, and route the remaining engine torque to the wheel with the most grip.

Pretty much instantaneous and 'sensory-less', to the extent that I'm only ever aware of any aquaplaning when I take stock of a tsunami outside and behind the car ;)

Subarus are not designed as heavy duty 4WDers with balloon tyres for crawling over rocks. They're designed as an everyday car better adapted than most to challenging road/track conditions. That's why most non-turbo'd manuals have a Hi-Lo gearbox (and selection lever) which modifies gearing ratio only and has nothing to do with the centre diff.

Edited by L00b