PM rejects call to lower age of consent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24976929

from yet another leading expert, why do governments seem to know better than their experts and advisers on a subject??

The prime minister has rejected a call from a leading expert on public health to lower the age of consent to 15.

Faculty of Public Health president Prof John Ashton said society had to accept that about a third of all boys and girls were having sex at 14 or 15.

He said the move would make it easier for 15-year-olds to get sexual health advice from the NHS.

It certainly shouldn't be lowered without provisos to ensure that young girls aren't abused by older men. Lower it by all means but for under 18s there should be a +/- of 2 years.

theres already measures in place? :suspect: im not sure lowering it will make things any worse generally

This is a report from one single advisor and lots of other important people and groups disagree with this point of view.

its this bit that made me post the subject

Downing Street said the current age of 16 was in place to protect children and there were "no plans to change it".

Official figures suggest that up to a third of teenagers have sex before the age of consent.

so we protect them by ignoring the fact lots do have sex underage, yet in doing so were also denying them suitable healthcare and advice because theyre too young :huh::loopy::confused:

---------- Post added 17-11-2013 at 12:13 ----------

I am amazed they even considered it!

Too many people wanting to grow up waaaay too quickly.

He also said that in countries with a lower age of consent, young people got involved in sex at a later age and teenage pregnancy rates were lower.

"The problem we have in this country is we still have this fantasy about young people and we live in a world of wish-fulfilment," he told BBC's Breakfast.

again from the article

MELTHEBEL.

At 16 Children are not mentally mature enough to understand the consequences of having a sexual relationship.

I am not just talking about pregnancy but about the moral, emotional, physical things which come with it too.

There is far too much pressure on young people to be adults enough as it is and in my opinion anyone who wants the age limit lowered must have got some kind of paedophilia thought process going on somewhere.

MELTHEBEL.

At 16 Children are not mentally mature enough to understand the consequences of having a sexual relationship.

I am not just talking about pregnancy but about the moral, emotional, physical things which come with it too.

There is far too much pressure on young people to be adults enough as it is and in my opinion anyone who wants the age limit lowered must have got some kind of paedophilia thought process going on somewhere.

but the point is theyre already doing it, its not stopping them, its just denying them heath advice and services???

its not protecting at all, its hurting

hiding your head in the sand and going ner ner ner ner doesnt make it go away

Archived