PM rejects call to lower age of consent

It certainly shouldn't be lowered without provisos to ensure that young girls aren't abused by older men. Lower it by all means but for under 18s there should be a +/- of 2 years.

That is one of the points raised for the debate so that teenagers can be given better education because of current prudish British attitudes towards sex education. The line needs to be drawn somewhere between practical life as it is and acceptable standards.

The subject needs to be talked about with world experts and statistics with context that can be used in the UK. I don't think much will change but politicians could make a years salary from it.

It certainly shouldn't be lowered without provisos to ensure that young girls aren't abused by older men. Lower it by all means but for under 18s there should be a +/- of 2 years.

MELTHEBEL.

At 16 Children are not mentally mature enough to understand the consequences of having a sexual relationship.

I am not just talking about pregnancy but about the moral, emotional, physical things which come with it too.

There is far too much pressure on young people to be adults enough as it is and in my opinion anyone who wants the age limit lowered must have got some kind of paedophilia thought process going on somewhere.

I'm with Cameron on this.

It's all about protecting the kids, just just from each other but from older men/women who would seek to exploit them.

thats a bit worrying aswell when the first thing you think of on the subject is peadophillia

thats a bit worrying aswell when the first thing you think of on the subject is peadophillia

How do you know if it was the first thing I though of. Not quite sure what you are driving at here.

But anyway, I think it's an important consideration. I'm wondering what kind of signal lowering the age would send out.

MELTHEBEL.

At 16 Children are not mentally mature enough to understand the consequences of having a sexual relationship.

I am not just talking about pregnancy but about the moral, emotional, physical things which come with it too.

There is far too much pressure on young people to be adults enough as it is and in my opinion anyone who wants the age limit lowered must have got some kind of paedophilia thought process going on somewhere.

Do you not find it odd that one day after they are apparently not mentally mature enough to understand the consequences of having a sexual relationship, they can have sex, get married with parental consent, leave home, join the Army, Navy, Air force. How do they become mentally mature so quickly?

Do you not find it odd that one day after they are apparently not mentally mature enough to understand the consequences of having a sexual relationship, they can have sex, get married with parental consent, leave home, join the Army, Navy, Air force. How do they become mentally mature so quickly?

indeed, strange innit, theyre also thinking about lowering the age of voting down to 16

closer to that none mature age Oo

In 2008, the House of Lords considered the case of a 15-year-old boy who was convicted of rape of a child under 13 after having sexual intercourse with a 12-year-old girl whom he believed to be 15. For the purposes of sentencing, the prosecution accepted that the girl consented and that she had said she was 15. Neither of those factors amounted to a defence, however, because the offence is committed if a person intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person with his penis and that other person is under 13.

Does anyone really believe that the 15 year old boy should have been charged and found guilty.

In 2008, the House of Lords considered the case of a 15-year-old boy who was convicted of rape of a child under 13 after having sexual intercourse with a 12-year-old girl whom he believed to be 15. For the purposes of sentencing, the prosecution accepted that the girl consented and that she had said she was 15. Neither of those factors amounted to a defence, however, because the offence is committed if a person intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person with his penis and that other person is under 13.

Does anyone really believe that the 15 year old boy should have been charged and found guilty.

each case is taken on its own merits?, most dont end in guilty?

Archived