Thank you .. for what??

Waldo

I've noticed this with a few people; usually it's when someone on the street is wanting some money or something from me, as I'm passing by...

I don't give anything, don't really smile, just simply observe that they're there, and pass by.

Very often, the person will look at me, and say 'thank you'. I'm puzzled, why are they saying that, when I haven't given or done anything for them? It almost comes across as insincere or some kind of manipulative guilt-trip or something.

Does anyone else notice that kind of thing? Big issue sellers do it a lot!

Get this in Glasgow all the time.I think they may have had a bit of "city ambassador" training..Haha!

I once heard one down n out lad telling a down n out girl to be polite when asking for money,and always say thankyou,and have a good day.

Perhaps it's because you notice them - "just simply observe that they're there" ? You acknowledge that they exist, which is more than some folk do.

I know what you mean, and yeah, it could be this, with some people. Doesn't feel like it is, with a lot though.

I was up in Leeds a couple of weeks back, on an evening, and noticed a lot of beggars just sat on the street, with little cardboard cup in front of them, inviting loose change etc. I'd sometimes just notice the cup, and walk by, and then get this automated 'thank you' response, that sounded a bit distant and almost sarcastic.

I don't mean to sound callous, as it's mainly down and out looking people who do this (who I don't have anything against), am just curious as to the intent behind it.

I've noticed this with a few people; usually it's when someone on the street is wanting some money or something from me, as I'm passing by...

I don't give anything, don't really smile, just simply observe that they're there, and pass by.

Very often, the person will look at me, and say 'thank you'. I'm puzzled, why are they saying that, when I haven't given or done anything for them? It almost comes across as insincere or some kind of manipulative guilt-trip or something.

Does anyone else notice that kind of thing? Big issue sellers do it a lot!

It's probably their way of saying hurry up give me money and bugger off so I can get the next one

My heart says it's because you acknowledge them; imagine if 99% of people ignored you when you spoke to them, you'd be thankful if someone looked at you or smiled or said "sorry mate". Many people just walk past like they don't exist - that can't be nice.

Though my head says it's a guilt trip.

Archived