Anti Roma racism.

none of that is relevant, what is relevant is if you blanket attack the whole Roma community instead of the troublemakers then like it or not its racist, if you don't want to be seen as racist then don't do it, simple

When you apply the definition to the nth degree to apply it to Zamo's position then you prove Dara O'Briain's humorous logic that "racism is way better than astrology" to be true.

You prove the author of the Guardian article to be a racist when he wrote "One wonders how the Roma should indicate their inculcation into British values. By encouraging their teens to get hammered on a Friday and Saturday night and start brawling?"

You prove some members of the Roma community to be themselves racist when they admit that their community has inherent problems that they need to sort out.

I know what racism is, since my parents have suffered terribly from it in the past, and I think applying it so flippantly has become dangerous.

All I can say is that my nephew who lived in a small village in Bedfordshire told me while I was visiting there that house break ins had become something of a problem in the community since a Roma camp had been established just outside the village. Whereas before windows could be left unsecured while out of the house now they had to be secured.

Make of it what you will. I'm just passing a comment. Nothing else. I dont know much about the Roma. Dont think I even met one in my whole life

If certain people are causing anti social problems on a large scale, then surely the community have a right to protest about it, shouting racist at every available opportunity only serves to make tensions worse and doesn't help at all. The council must bear some responsibility & look at ways of helping, surely they can use some of the EU funding made available to integrate the Roma.

I wasn't complaining I was answering the OP's question. As I said, I'm not bothered about the label because over-use has eroded the stigma.
Equally I wasn't accusing you of complaining, merely making an observation on your post.

Classing criticism of a culture as racist is an example of over-use of the word and why it no longer stuns people into silence... as is self evident.

Classing criticism of a community of people however is racism, as is self evident if someone say made sensational generalisations about white people and football hooligans for example.

Personally I believe the term is overused, by both sides of the debate-there are far more creative ways to make ones point and insult people at the same time ;)

---------- Post added 18-11-2013 at 16:12 ----------

I could give countless other examples of people being held accountable for the behaviour of the collective. Why can't we do it for the Roma? It makes no sense.

Whilst not disagreeing with your main point (Romas are a pain in the arse in certain areas of Sheffield)..I could give you countless examples where people are extremely sensitive to being held accountable for the collective.

Equally I wasn't accusing you of complaining, merely making an observation on your post.

Classing criticism of a community of people however is racism, as is self evident if someone say made sensational generalisations about white people and football hooligans for example.

Personally I believe the term is overused, by both sides of the debate-there are far more creative ways to make ones point and insult people at the same time ;)

My bold. No it isnt. In the case of the roma its well deserved.

Heres a quote from my mate who lives at page hall.

They are truly the bottom of the barrel. Utter scum and we dont want them here.

Says it all really.

My bold. No it isnt. In the case of the roma its well deserved.

Heres a quote from my mate who lives at page hall.

They are truly the bottom of the barrel. Utter scum and we dont want them here.

Says it all really.

Did you read what I posted? Particularly my final response to Zamo?

Careful, calling the chosen one names will earn you a ban.

Lets see, I don't intend to call anyone a name, even jest, or say anything untoward, for the rest of the day, so if you notice my avatar picture isn't there it will be because I've upset you know who.

Archived