BRAKE are calling for hands free devices to be banned!!

Not only are we too stupid to drive and use a mobile phone, 'scientists' have now decided that we are too stupid to use a hands free device while driving and road safety charity BREAK has called for the devices to be banned!!

If you can't talk and drive, you shouldn't be alowed behind the wheel in the first place!

What next? No talking to a passenger? No passengers in the car? No cars?

I can't wait until the do gooders get their own way and we all live to be 200 years old and never leave our house for fear of killing someone with our inept stupidity!!

Not only are we too stupid to drive and use a mobile phone, 'scientists' have now decided that we are too stupid to use a hands free device while driving and road safety charity BREAK has called for the devices to be banned!!

If you can't talk and drive, you shouldn't be alowed behind the wheel in the first place!

I can't wait until the do gooders get their own way and we all live to be 200 years old and never leave our house for fear of killing someone with our inept stupidity!!

I think some people need gagging whilst driving, some folk don't appear to have the ability to talk to the person next to them without looking at them and without flapping their arms about.

I wish some one would shut our lass up when I am driving.

It's watch him, or Its on red, or there' a roundabout,or your doing sixty nine,or watch that dog,or you can't park here Planner ses so and on and on and on it drives yer daft.

You too, glad I'm not only one to suffer that. :hihi:

Absolutely. I also happen to think we should be permitted to drive with mirror shades on at night, whilst drunk as a skunk. Stupid nanny state.

On the other hand, could it be true that driving and speaking on the phone is inherently riskier than driving whilst under the influence of alcohol beyond the legal limit?

Yes. It could be, and as far as the research indicates, it is.

How dangerous is driving with a mobile phone? Benchmarking the impairment to alcohol.

P C Burns, A Parkes, S Burton, R K Smith (TRL Limited)

and D Burch (Direct Line Group)

Research has convincingly shown that phone conversations impair driving performance.

From the results of the present study, it could be argued that drivers would be exposed to an equivalent risk while using a phone. The critical finding in this study was that phone use impaired drivers’ abilities to respond to warnings more so than alcohol.

As Mcknight and Mcknight (1991) point out, the number of missed warnings has more significance for safety than the slowing of response times. The road traffic environment may have some tolerance for a delay in responding to a hazard. There is no tolerance for missed hazards. The effect of phone use on speed has been observed in previous research on driver distraction (e.g., Alm and Nilsson, 1994).

In fact it appears to be one of the more consistent finding in the research on driving with phones. One explanation is that drivers slow the vehicle in order to make the driving task easier. It is essentially a strategy they use to cope with the competing demands of multiple tasks. Another explanation is that drivers fail to monitor their speed and are unable to maintain their normal speed.

Although performance when using Hand-held phones was worse than Hands-free phones, Hands-free phones still impaired reaction times more than alcohol. Thus, even though Hands-free may be slightly less dangerous than Hand-held phones, the safest approach would be to turn phones off while driving. Researchers have attempted economic rationalism to defend the risk of death and injury from using mobile phones while driving (Lissy et al., 2000). Baring the ethical issues of accepting the loss of human life and health, this work is flawed because it does not fully consider the context of phone use in cars.

Archived