Top 1% of earners pay 30% of all income tax

Nagel

Not sure, perhaps we're not meant to know. If they were paying what they should would the tax avoidance schemes be in the news?

Perhaps they feel they are paying enough already, supporting those who don't pay as much tax as them, and don't feel as though they want to volunteer to pay extra tax that isn't due. Don't understand why anyone would want to pay extra tax?

Not sure, perhaps we're not meant to know. If they were paying what they should would the tax avoidance schemes be in the news?

Yes, because people want to hear that those rich than themselves are only successful because they've cheated and hope they'll get their comeuppance and make themselves (the reader/listener) rich instead.

I'd like to know how the Times makes up this list, when thousands of UK millionaires hide their income in property which is kept in their family by a trust, meaning it is never actually valued because there is never a change of ownership.

How is that income?

Wealth, yes. But income? :huh:

The top 1% earn 10% of total income earned.

Also, to narrow it down a bit more, the highest earning 0.1% pay 14.1% of all income tax.

Where did you get those figures from ? Just curious, I was looking earlier and could only find USA figures.

Thanks for that, I don't dispute they pay a lot of tax but I can't see where it says what percent of total income they have.

As I said earlier, I don't think paying 30% of income tax is unreasonable if they have 30% of the income.

Thanks for that, I don't dispute they pay a lot of tax but I can't see where it says what percent of total income they have.

As I said earlier, I don't think paying 30% of income tax is unreasonable if they have 30% of the income.

30% of the tax yet only 10% of the income. By that measure they are paying three times what the average man is....

---------- Post added 18-11-2013 at 23:25 ----------

News for you - if they are using a tax avoidance scheme then they are paying exactly what they should. I know it's difficult for you because it involves long words but avoidance and evasion are two totally different things.

Archived