Top 1% of earners pay 30% of all income tax

Nagel

still here fishing stan a little older and a little wiser....still not got the book back:hihi: but now i have paid my taxes i can enjoy the fruits and fish whenever i feel like it:o

Pensioners still have to pay income tax. This comes as a surprise to a lot of people, but if your income is above the income tax limit you pay tax on it. That includes your state pension too.

There's a very small increase in your income tax limit if you were born before 1948, but basically you don't need much extra income on top of the state pension before you start paying tax.

Alcohol and tobacco are discretionary spending items...you have a choice whether to buy them or not...

People can choose not to drink water, have a roof over their head, receive an income/work etc. etc.

The fact remains, that the tax system we have is not progressive, as many parts of it are highly regressive.

The British drink alcohol, it's common knowledge they do, and many smoke, particularly the poorest working manual jobs. These people are hammered by regressive taxes upon alcohol and tobacco.

People can choose not to drink water, have a roof over their head, receive an income/work etc. etc.

The fact remains, that the tax system we have is not progressive, as many parts of it are highly regressive.

The British drink alcohol, it's common knowledge they do, and many smoke, particularly the poorest working manual jobs. These people are hammered by regressive taxes upon alcohol and tobacco.

Which they choose to pay....

Which they choose to pay....

High income earners choose to earn lots of money.

The choice to consume/earn is irrelevant when discussing whether or not taxation is regressive/progressive.

Alcohol and tobacco are also physically and mentally addictive, whilst money is merely mentally addictive.

The smoker has less choice over his smoking, than the high earner does over his income.

shouldnt that be they have no choice but to pay :roll:

They don't have to if they don't buy beer and ciggies...that's why it's a discretionary tax... it's a choice...

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 21:00 ----------

High income earners choose to earn lots of money.

The choice to consume/earn is irrelevant when discussing whether or not taxation is regressive/progressive.

Alcohol and tobacco are also physically and mentally addictive, whilst money is merely mentally addictive.

The smoker has less choice over his smoking, than the high earner does over his income.

No-one forced them to start smoking... they can even get free treatment to help them stop if they want..I'm not sure high earners complain about their income...come on Chem1st you can do better than that...

They don't have to if they don't buy beer and ciggies...that's why it's a discretionary tax... it's a choice...

No-one forced them to start smoking... they can even get free treatment to help them stop if they want..I'm not sure high earners complain about their income...come on Chem1st you can do better than that...

they dont complain about their income its the taxes they moan about :hihi:

The treatment available is not 100% effective.

Anyhow, your arguing, tobacco and alcohol are not required, and on the basis of that argument, income above the dole ain't required.

The argument is irrelevant to the point I made that the taxes are regressive. And what with the treatment for alcohol and tobacco not being 100% effective, then your assertion that the consumption of alcohol and tobacco is a choice doesn't ring true, for the unfortunate people that are addicted.

The treatment available is not 100% effective.

Anyhow, your arguing, tobacco and alcohol are not required, and on the basis of that argument, income above the dole ain't required.

The argument is irrelevant to the point I made that the taxes are regressive. And what with the treatment for alcohol and tobacco not being 100% effective, then your assertion that the consumption of alcohol and tobacco is a choice doesn't ring true, for the unfortunate people that are addicted.

I smoke. I drink. I have heating on in my house. I eat out occasionally. I drive a nice car. They are all choices. I cut my cloth accordingly. They are all voluntary taxes that I pay. Income tax is not voluntary. It is by far the most tax that I pay.

Archived