Top 1% of earners pay 30% of all income tax

Nagel

The treatment available is not 100% effective.

Anyhow, your arguing, tobacco and alcohol are not required, and on the basis of that argument, income above the dole ain't required.

The argument is irrelevant to the point I made that the taxes are regressive. And what with the treatment for alcohol and tobacco not being 100% effective, then your assertion that the consumption of alcohol and tobacco is a choice doesn't ring true, for the unfortunate people that are addicted.

So all people who drink and smoke are addicted? Sorry Chem1st..you're on a loser here...smoking and drinking are a choice ,so paying tobacco and alcohol duty/tax is a choice ..income tax is not a choice...they aren't the same...

So all people who drink and smoke are addicted?

I never said that.

Sorry Chem1st..you're on a loser here...smoking and drinking are a choice ,so paying tobacco and alcohol duty/tax is a choice ..income tax is not a choice...they aren't the same...

Income tax is a choice on the basis of your argument, in fact it is more of a choice than paying alcohol tax/tobacco tax, as earning an income is not at all physically addictive. You don't need to earn enough to pay it to survive.

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 22:47 ----------

I smoke. I drink. I have heating on in my house. I eat out occasionally. I drive a nice car. They are all choices. I cut my cloth accordingly. They are all voluntary taxes that I pay. Income tax is not voluntary. It is by far the most tax that I pay.

Are you forced to work, or do you do so of your own free will?

Can you negotiate a lower salary?

I'm pretty sure you can avoid income tax.

I never said that.

Income tax is a choice on the basis of your argument, in fact it is more of a choice than paying alcohol tax/tobacco tax, as earning an income is not at all physically addictive. You don't need to earn enough to pay it to survive.

What a ridiculous argument. You don't need to smoke or drink to survive? In fact the less you smoke or drink the longer you are likely to survive.:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 22:49 ----------

I never said that.

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 22:47 ----------

Are you forced to work, or do you do so of your own free will?

Can you negotiate a lower salary?

I'm pretty sure you can avoid income tax.

I avoid as much income tax as I can whilst trying to maximize my wealth to support my family, and to save for my old age so I don't have to rely on others to pay for me

What a ridiculous argument. You don't need to smoke or drink to survive? In fact the less you smoke or drink the longer you are likely to survive.:rolleyes:

For some who are addicted to alcohol, withdrawal can result in death.

On that basis, the payment of alcohol tax is less of a choice than the payment of income tax. As reducing ones income to an income sufficient to live, below the income tax threshold, does not result in death.

As I have already said many times, the fact remains, that the tax system we have is not progressive, as many parts of it are highly regressive.

And Truman's assertion that income tax is not a choice, whilst alcohol and tobacco tax are a choice is false, and more to the point, entirely irrelevant.

I avoid as much income tax as I can whilst trying to maximize my wealth to support my family, and to save for my old age so I don't have to rely on others to pay for me

Fair enough.

For some who are addicted to alcohol, withdrawal can result in death..

If this is true - then it can't be many. You really are clutching at straws here.

On that basis, the payment of alcohol tax is less of a choice than the payment of income tax. As reducing ones income to an income sufficient to live, below the income tax threshold, does not result in death..

Might do - if you require a high income to pay for a large amount of alcohol just to survive :hihi:

As I have already said many times, the fact remains, that the tax system we have is not progressive, as many parts of it are highly regressive. .

Income tax is progressive. This is what the thread is about

And Truman's assertion that income tax is not a choice, whilst alcohol and tobacco tax are a choice is false, and more to the point, entirely irrelevant.

It is true - alcohol and tobacco are both choices. Hard to give up, but a choice nonetheless.

If this is true - then it can't be many. You really are clutching at straws here.
To be fair, I don't know why I am arguing the point. :hihi:

Might do - if you require a high income to pay for a large amount of alcohol just to survive :hihi:
So income is a choice, unless your an alco :hihi:

Income tax is progressive. This is what the thread is about

Aye. But the problem is, that people are assuming the tax system is progressive because they are forgetting to consider myriad other taxes, and whilst income tax is progressive, the tax system as a whole is not.

Which was my point.

What we need to do, is remove regressive taxes, and bring in progressive taxes. For example, abolish alcohol, tobacco and council tax and bring in a land value tax.

Archived