Yorkshire multi-millionaire businessman backs UKIP

First to go will be the foreign manufacturers. Investors from outside the EU like coming to the UK because of a friendly corporate tax regime, access to banking and access to the EU.

Add to that the talent coming from UK universities (some of the best in the world) and companies relying on a skilled workforce that can speak English will have the UK high on their list of potential targets. --> Nissan is not warning Cameron for nothing.

Once the foreign manufacturers stop seeing the UK as a potential base for access to the EU they will start switching to places like Ireland and the Netherlands.

Second to go will be the small and medium enterprises that feed these big manufacturers.

Banks will suffer because they are no longer benefiting from the UK government protecting their interests in the EU, all their dealings with EU money will become eligible to EU legislation which would already be a lot stricter if it weren't for Cameron continuing to protect the City.

The defence industry will suffer. Companies like BAE and Rolls Royce will have some tough decisions to make on how to ensure their position as primary producers for a lot of weapon systems in use in the EU. They will lose a lot of leverage to for example German and French companies.

The pound will become a lot more fluctuating, it is now dampened because of the trade with the EU, once that trade starts to suffer the pound will suffer.

The UK will have to agree energy deals with places like Russia and the Middle-East on its own, a lot of lobbying is done through the EU currently. Standing alone will make the UK a target for exploitation, it isn't just energy, the same goes for a lot of raw goods that feed the UK economy.

UK Universities will suffer because they will no longer be eligible for EU research funding. This will amount to several millions per year lost income for the University of Sheffield alone.

Farmers across the country will go bankrupt because they are currently being kept alive artificially through EU grants. This will lead to an increased reliance on the UK importing food stuffs even more than it already does.

I'll try and think of a few more, as there are plenty, in the meantime I challenge you to demonstrate I am wrong.

PS: the idea of the UK independent seems appealing when looking at countries like Norway and Switzerland, people wrongly think it will be like that. The only reason Norway and Switzerland can afford not to be in the EU is their very specific trades: Norway is overflowing in the energy-sector, natural gas, oil, renewables, it is all there. Switzerland is Switzerland, we all know how they got rich but there is only room for one Switzerland.

I notice that you have not named one organisation/company in the above post.

Can you to name one that has 100% committed itself to leaving the UK should the UK exit the EU?

Perhaps a lack of understanding on your behalf,
:D

Something about a pot and a kettle, both of particularly dark complexion, spings to mind somehow.

I'll stick with the article and it's authors.
Rather than the actual legislation? Riiight. :hihi:

Can you to name one that has 100% committed itself to remaining in the UK should the UK exit the EU?

I'm not the one scaremongering businesses leaving the UK in droves should we exit the EU. Can you name one?

To answer your question, my business will 100% remain in the UK should we leave the EU.:)

.....without all the unpleasant add-ons like open borders, paying for MEP's, European Court of Human Rights etc.

Open borders work both way. We can go abroad to work or retire.

Paying for MEPs? You don't mind paying for Farage, do you?

The ECHR has nothing to do with the EU. It was founded by the Council of Europe in the forties with a lot of British involvement as a reaction to the atrocities of WW2.

You really think leaving the EU would mean we wouldn't be paying people to negotiate with the EU in Brussels (only now they wouldn't have a vote), as well as cause us to abandon all human rights legislation?

The EU didnt cause anything.Brown and Blair did.They thought we shouldnt know the details so the media bearly aired it cos of course if we did know the details we wouldnt have wanted it and we didnt and dont but we will never get a say left to the mainstream parties even if they do pretend to be considering it,should they get back in.It wont happen too much money involved but its not money we will benefit from but we do get the bill.

Can you to name one that has 100% committed itself to remaining in the UK should the UK exit the EU?

This.

But let me entertain you:

Let's begin with an obvious group of people that would be rather ****** off if the UK left the EU:

car-manufacturers, Nissan, Tata (ie. Landrover/Jaguar), Ford, BMW (Mini), GM (Vauxhall/Opel). Just today it was in the news that the North-East is the only region in the UK with higher exports than imports, thanks to Nissan. Last week Nissan came out publicly warning that leaving the EU would make them reconsider investment in the UK.

Bit closer to home (and already mentioned): The University of Sheffield who are relying on EU funding for a considerable part of their research income.

Also close to home: Corus (now Tata Steel), an industrial giant of the past, already on the cusp. Being in the EU is one of the few things that is keeping it tiding over around here, take that away and there is not a lot going for keeping the business here.

Go into the hills of the Peak district and ask the farmers there what would happen if they didn't get EU subsidies for maintaining the land and keeping their livestock.

Despite the ****-up the Digital Region project was funded by the EU and created a considerable amount of jobs in the area, ask the friendly folk over at Littlebigone.co.uk if they could have launched their business without EU funding.

I can carry on for quite a while, but I think you get the point.

This debate is endless, there will always be people for and against, whatever the people for say, the people against will refute and in reverse. The EU has got plenty of issues to work out still, a solid democratic process is one of many issues to iron out.

But before you go and vote UKIP, just think about this: you do realise that NOT A SINGLE UKIP MEP showed up for the vote to stop the EU alternating its meetings between Brussels and Strassbourg? You do realise that hero Farage hardly ever shows up to MEP parliaments since being elected, yet he sits in his mansion in wherevershire earning a nice income that your taxes are paying for?

Voting for UKIP is voting no. I get the appeal in that, but it is also a vote for NO policy, for NO influence, for NO choice.

No choice is what we have had for several years and will continue to have if the main parties have their way.

If the advantages of stopping in the EU are so great it should be easy to convince the electorate to do so.

Lets have a vote on it and solid democratic process will prevail and put the argument to bed.

By the way, it was good to see the UKIP canvassers in Hillsborough today getting a great reception.

If the advantages of stopping in the EU are so great it should be easy to convince the electorate to do so.

Lets have a vote on it and solid democratic process will prevail and put the argument to bed.

It's only worthwhile having a vote if it's an informed vote. We need actual facts and figures from both sides.

And I'm pretty sure, that just as with most of what UKIP puts out, it will all start to fall apart when we get a chance to look at the details and implications of such a withdrawal.

This.

But let me entertain you:

Let's begin with an obvious group of people that would be rather ****** off if the UK left the EU:

car-manufacturers, Nissan, Tata (ie. Landrover/Jaguar), Ford, BMW (Mini), GM (Vauxhall/Opel). Just today it was in the news that the North-East is the only region in the UK with higher exports than imports, thanks to Nissan. Last week Nissan came out publicly warning that leaving the EU would make them reconsider investment in the UK.

Bit closer to home (and already mentioned): The University of Sheffield who are relying on EU funding for a considerable part of their research income.

Also close to home: Corus (now Tata Steel), an industrial giant of the past, already on the cusp. Being in the EU is one of the few things that is keeping it tiding over around here, take that away and there is not a lot going for keeping the business here.

Go into the hills of the Peak district and ask the farmers there what would happen if they didn't get EU subsidies for maintaining the land and keeping their livestock.

Despite the ****-up the Digital Region project was funded by the EU and created a considerable amount of jobs in the area, ask the friendly folk over at Littlebigone.co.uk if they could have launched their business without EU funding.

I can carry on for quite a while, but I think you get the point.

Good to see we agree that no one has 100% committed to leaving the UK if we exit the EU.

With regards to EU funding and subsidies given back to the UK, at the moment it seems that we give billions to the EU who, after deducting several hundred millions for administration costs, give a lesser amount back to the UK.

I'd prefer the billions we give to the EU to remain in the UK for direct payment/investment in UK farmers/businesses.

As an aside, can you tell me the last time the EU's accounts got a clean bill of health from its auditors?

Archived