Radio sheffield football heaven

Romario

On 12/10/2019 at 18:12, maggidee said:

its the presentersmore than the callers with all the slow motion sentences,ie   our number is 0800  triple1 ffforteeeeeeennnnnniiiiiiiiine forty nnnnnnnnniiiiiine or that coming up at the end of the prrroggggggggggggrame

I noticed that too.  I suspect it's because they are doing something else at the time and struggling to "multi-task".  Or maybe they've got a producer in their ear telling them to hurry up and get to the traffic bulletin or something?  

On 21/09/2019 at 03:36, Baron99 said:

Oh God, I gave up on Football Heaven ages ago, mainly because of all the air time they gave to 'Brian the Blade' & his ramblings.  Even as a Blade, he annoys me. 

Clearly, during the week & especially if there's no matches on with pre-match news or there's no prominent, breaking story coming out from one of the clubs, it's a hard slog to fill an hour. 

Think they aught to scrap the daily programme & just stick to the reaction after the weekend matches?

They could fill the slot with something more worthy & varied.  How about a programme on local politics; local issues; in depth interviews with local news worthy individuals or handing over the hour slot to interest groups to make their own shows? 

I enjoy listening to it usually.  I agree it's a bit bleak though when there's no football going on, like the current period where we are in an international break.  Must be tough trying to fill an hour at times like this.  

I think my favourite caller is that Wednesdayite from Handsworth, "Andy" I think his name is.  "Mr Angry Andy" I think of him as.  He's not on regularly but it's a joy to listen to him when he is.  He quickly turns the conversation into an argument, "Who are you?  What do you know about football?  Oh you're so clever aren't you?"  and stuff like that.  I don't know what's eating that guy but he really doesn't like our local radio presenters and lets them know it clearly!  

My least favourite caller is probably Geoff - who sounds like a lovely bloke actually - but he doesn't half come out with some boring stuff and is torn between supporting Luton Town and Staveley Miner's Welfare!  

I like the passion shown by callers like Brian The Miller and Mark The Pitsmoor Owl.  Although the latter is a bit hard to listen to, "yeah?".  I also think Mick the Owl of Rawmarsh makes some good contributions to the discussions and talks sense.  As does "sensible David" the Blade from Bolton.  The infamous "Brian The Blade" is entertaining because you never know what ridiculous thing he's going to come out with next - the only thing for sure is he'll change his mind as often as the wind changes direction.

I think the station has lost some good presenters over the past few years.  Most recently the lad Rob Staton left to go to another radio station - I thought he was very good.  Good grasp of the game, fair and objective and had a wry sense of humour.  His replacement, Mike McCarthy, takes a bit of getting used to.  He comes over as a bit "clever" and irritating with his questions.  There's not great chemistry between him and Chris Wilder for example.  Adam Oxley seems like a nice lad and comes over as genuine, but he hasn't quite got the ratio right between talking and listening and he regularly over-talks the callers or finishes their point for them.  Andy Giddings, I think, is a consummate professional and handles things well.  He does have the most irritating of prolonged pauses between words though.  

I wonder what kind of life some of the callers have for them to want/need to phone up several times a week?  I mean, I like my football but not to the point where I want to phone a radio station and chat about it several times a month.  I suppose for some it gives them minor celebrity status.  We are lucky to have this coverage though.  I don't think many parts of the country have this and it reflects the passion of the local people for football.

45 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

I enjoy listening to it usually.  I agree it's a bit bleak though when there's no football going on, like the current period where we are in an international break.  Must be tough trying to fill an hour at times like this.  

I think my favourite caller is that Wednesdayite from Handsworth, "Andy" I think his name is.  "Mr Angry Andy" I think of him as.  He's not on regularly but it's a joy to listen to him when he is.  He quickly turns the conversation into an argument, "Who are you?  What do you know about football?  Oh you're so clever aren't you?"  and stuff like that.  I don't know what's eating that guy but he really doesn't like our local radio presenters and lets them know it clearly!  

My least favourite caller is probably Geoff - who sounds like a lovely bloke actually - but he doesn't half come out with some boring stuff and is torn between supporting Luton Town and Staveley Miner's Welfare!  

I like the passion shown by callers like Brian The Miller and Mark The Pitsmoor Owl.  Although the latter is a bit hard to listen to, "yeah?".  I also think Mick the Owl of Rawmarsh makes some good contributions to the discussions and talks sense.  As does "sensible David" the Blade from Bolton.  The infamous "Brian The Blade" is entertaining because you never know what ridiculous thing he's going to come out with next - the only thing for sure is he'll change his mind as often as the wind changes direction.

I think the station has lost some good presenters over the past few years.  Most recently the lad Rob Staton left to go to another radio station - I thought he was very good.  Good grasp of the game, fair and objective and had a wry sense of humour.  His replacement, Mike McCarthy, takes a bit of getting used to.  He comes over as a bit "clever" and irritating with his questions.  There's not great chemistry between him and Chris Wilder for example.  Adam Oxley seems like a nice lad and comes over as genuine, but he hasn't quite got the ratio right between talking and listening and he regularly over-talks the callers or finishes their point for them.  Andy Giddings, I think, is a consummate professional and handles things well.  He does have the most irritating of prolonged pauses between words though.  

I wonder what kind of life some of the callers have for them to want/need to phone up several times a week?  I mean, I like my football but not to the point where I want to phone a radio station and chat about it several times a month.  I suppose for some it gives them minor celebrity status.  We are lucky to have this coverage though.  I don't think many parts of the country have this and it reflects the passion of the local people for football.

Don't forget 2-1 Ken.. always starts of with,     Hello are you alright.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Don't forget 2-1 Ken.. always starts of with,     Hello are you alright.

Agreed!  Yes he sounds like a very nice chap actually.  

I also omitted to mention "Paul The Miller".  Now there's a guy with a pessimistic outlook if ever there was one.  Dear me!  I pity whoever has to live with him - he's a real bundle of joy, not!

6 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

It's when they get caller's on that are only just starting school that annoy me more, very young kids trying to talk about the game are quite annoying.

At least with the likes of Brian the blade etc it can be interesting even if they are talking rubbish

Agreed, when a youngster calls it usually ends up with the presenter asking questions with replies of "yeah" whilst a parent (or guardian) prompts them in the background.

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2019 at 11:41, Jim Hardie said:

I think it was Doctor Hill.

No, it was fotty year ago.

Brian the Blade is the only caller worth listening to.

Yet a lot of Wednesday fans are still clinging desperately like drowning  men  clutching at straws to  a match that took place " fotty " years ago. I was a young man  then, I'm a pensioner now LOL

38 minutes ago, prince al said:

Why do they bother ringing in when they obviously possess speech problems.

The BBC ought to be subject to Safeguarding procedures