Warranty question, advice please.

Hi, bought a petrol garden blower/vac just over 2 years ago from b&q. Been a brilliant machine, but recently the vac bag has broken, the zip no longer holds its teeth so as soon as i start to use it, it just opens up.

Well i priced up a universal bag, about £20, to have a new zip would prob cost the same if i could find someone to do it.

Any how, i found my reciept and dug out the box, and it has a 3 year warranty so been to b&q tonight with no joy.

Apparently whilst the machine is covered, only one year with b&q, other 2 years with manufacturer. Worse still, the bag is an accessory so not covered at all, only the petrol engine. Anyway cut a long story short, i was advised to call the "0845" number on the box and take it up with the manufacturer, who on the label on the machine, the head office is the same address as B&q at chandlers ford !!

Have i got a leg to stand on?

Frustrating I know but doubt you'll get any joy.

We bought a new cooker from a very well known High St electrical retailer. Was a best buy as recommended by Which magazine, top of the range etc etc

It was installed on a Friday, used on the Saturday then the following day the light blew in the oven.

Back to the shop to explain, result?

The bulb is not covered by warranty because it's classed as a "consumable" and we would have to buy a replacement. This was after the manufacturer had been phoned to ascertain the situation. After less than 48hrs of purchase we were supposed to buy a spare part.

As a matter of principal we refused, asked to see the manager who wisely stayed in his office but authorised us to get a new bulb FOC.

Thanks for the replies, just phone the manufacturer and they have asked me to email them with a copy of the purchase receipt. He never said it was not covered, unlike b&q who said it might not be, so will get on with that email and maybe i might have some luck.

I would like to point out that whilst b&q did not resolve my query, the lady i spoke to was most polite, tried her hardest to come to a resolution.

The issue of certain parts not being covered may well be the case, i hope to hear from the manufacturer very soon.

Frustrating I know but doubt you'll get any joy.

We bought a new cooker from a very well known High St electrical retailer. Was a best buy as recommended by Which magazine, top of the range etc etc

It was installed on a Friday, used on the Saturday then the following day the light blew in the oven.

Back to the shop to explain, result?

The bulb is not covered by warranty because it's classed as a "consumable" and we would have to buy a replacement. This was after the manufacturer had been phoned to ascertain the situation. After less than 48hrs of purchase we were supposed to buy a spare part.

As a matter of principal we refused, asked to see the manager who wisely stayed in his office but authorised us to get a new bulb FOC.

What is meant by goods not fit for purpose

When you buy something, consumer law says the item must be fit for purpose.

For example, a toaster must be able to make toast and a washing machine must be able to wash clothes.

As well as being fit for their normal purpose goods must also be fit for any specific purpose that the seller told you they would be fit for.

The law which gives you this right is called the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

This right only applies when you buy something from a business, not from a private seller.

What can you do if goods aren't fit for purpose?

If goods aren't fit for their normal purpose they aren't of satisfactory quality and you may have the right to return them to the seller and ask for a refund.

If something isn't fit to be used for a specific purpose agreed with the seller you may have the right to return it to the seller and claim a refund.

If you return the goods within a very short time of buying them you don't normally have to accept a repair or replacement instead of a refund, unless you want to.

If you've kept the goods for a while the law says you may have accepted the goods and have lost your right to a full refund. However, you should still have the right to get a repair or replacement.

Sounds like the cooker fits this description, new free bulb or not.

Well, last tuedsay evening i emailed them with a copy of the receipt. I never had a reply, but this morning Ups nearly knocked down my door, i thought it was the police!!

Anyway they upheld my request for a replacement am now a very happy bunny.

Faith has been restored.

So I would say, if you have a problem, always take the 5/10 minutes to email your problem and request, the company might want to help, like they did for me.

Hi, bought a petrol garden blower/vac just over 2 years ago from b&q. Been a brilliant machine, but recently the vac bag has broken, the zip no longer holds its teeth so as soon as i start to use it, it just opens up.

Well i priced up a universal bag, about £20, to have a new zip would prob cost the same if i could find someone to do it.

Any how, i found my reciept and dug out the box, and it has a 3 year warranty so been to b&q tonight with no joy.

Apparently whilst the machine is covered, only one year with b&q, other 2 years with manufacturer. Worse still, the bag is an accessory so not covered at all, only the petrol engine. Anyway cut a long story short, i was advised to call the "0845" number on the box and take it up with the manufacturer, who on the label on the machine, the head office is the same address as B&q at chandlers ford !!

Have i got a leg to stand on?

Just buy a new one, swap the bags after giving your bag a good clean, and then take it pack for a refund.

Ups was I typing then or just thinking out loud. :D

Archived