Police probe 'racist' mural at primary school

Nagel

Left it out? I think you missed the bit about the painting being from 1936. So, it's a symbol of a racist past, but actually when you see the painting it's playfully done and hard to imagine there was any malice in the artist's intentions.

it just happens to be a doll that wouldve been in every playroom in the country at that time

Black people are bigger whingers?

I don't think its Black people that do the whinging.

Just found this article written in 2012.

A white person complaining on behalf of black people, the red bit sums it up nicely.

On the West Cliff opposite the famous abbey, overlooking the river inlet from the North Sea, among the fish and chip shops and tourist traps, are the arcade games. The Funland arcade on Pier Road is a main attraction, where you can win yourself a golliwog. There, you find beleaguered mums, straining to win one for the little ones; and kiddies trying to win one for the beleaguered mums. Good old-fashioned family racism.

I wrote to the two local Scarborough councillors and to the constituency MP, all Conservatives, and asked if they couldn't take some action over this. If golliwog dolls aren't even considered acceptable in the Conservative party today, there's no reason why they should be accepted in wider society.

I received a reply from Robert Goodwill MP, which is worth quoting in detail. First of all, he pointed out that he hadn't received any other complaints, despite the fact that "large numbers of people from ethnic communities in this country" visit Whitby. I think "large" is pushing it, but there's no reason to get hung up on detail – certainly not when discussing the "ethnic communities".

He added that it is "important that we don't become over-sensitive to situations such as this, where no evidence has been brought to me other than your letter that anyone has been offended or annoyed." Roughly translated, this means that even the ethnics are indifferent – only hysterical PC troublemakers care. But the next passage is a gem: "I can certainly remember as a child we had dolls of this type at home and it never crossed our minds that it was in any way derogatory to black people in the same way that similar rag dolls with white faces were not deemed to be offensive to any indigenous white people in our country."

They will struggle with some of the great works of art and literature if they retrospectively apply today's standards to them.

Applying today's standards to great works of the past has its place. The recent remake of 'Wuthering Heights' with a black Heathcliffe worked really well and made a lot of sense, although it was probably far from Emily Brontë's original imaginings.

I'm not sure the line "**** you all, you *****" was in the original novel either.

Applying today's standards to great works of the past has its place. The recent remake of 'Wuthering Heights' with a black Heathcliffe worked really well and made a lot of sense, although it was probably far from Emily Brontë's original imaginings.

..and those wonderful reworkings of Shakespeare's Othello, using real black actors to depict the Moor, rather than blacking up white ones as has been done for centuries ;)

I don't think its Black people that do the whinging.

Just found this article written in 2012.

A white person complaining on behalf of black people, the red bit sums it up nicely.

Snipped

Interesting read, and quite right. It usually is the non black PC rabble rousers who cause all the issues and stir up the division.

Left it out? I think you missed the bit about the painting being from 1936. So, it's a symbol of a racist past, but actually when you see the painting it's playfully done and hard to imagine there was any malice in the artist's intentions.

Ambiguous OP then, you said "There's a mural in a Scottish primary school that's been refurbished with the help of a Heritage Lottery grant"

Is the mural being refurbished or the school? If the mural's been refurbished - leave it out.

Interesting read, and quite right. It usually is the non black PC rabble rousers who cause all the issues and stir up the division.

...and the knobheads who took the benign imagery of a golliwog and used it as a racist slur in the first place.

Archived