If time travel were possible

Is it something we could just guess at, or could things be done without causing problems, if so could we go back and say kill Hitler before 1939, tell the captain of Titanic to look carefully for BIG pieces of ice, or would it harm the time that has followed? any thoughts.

Can I recommend the following book to you?

I wont spoil it, but imagine if Charles Babbage managed to get his engine working, and the Victorians made a 100 year leap forward in the field of computing...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Difference-Engine-S-F-MASTERWORKS/dp/0575099402/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384902927&sr=8-1&keywords=the+difference+engine

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I would like to change anything even if I get the chance.. I have realized that it all happens for good.. and we are not meant to interfere with natural course of events..

But then, like dosxuk said "More importantly, how could we know that the timeline hasn't already been changed by someone in the further future to avoid a worse result?"

Tempted to revisit E=MCsquared but I am over my head in other academiccy stuff.

The idea of time travel is immensely interesting and theoretically possible if I recall the aforementioned theory of time and space well.

I really like reading alt-history stuff, like what would have happened if the Japanese had managed to invade the US early in the second world war, or if the Russians had not stopped where they did. I once wrote an essay for school on what the Netherlands would be like if we had never repelled the Spanish, it involved a lot of sleeping and really good food as I considered Spain to be a paradise at that point, having just been on a holiday :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived